!! ATTENTION if you use BACK BURNER !!

Devin Johnston

It was recently revealed that Autodesk doesn't intend to develop BB any longer because they don't believe it's a priority for customers. I personally use it all the time and I'm sure that many of you do as well so it's up to those of us that find it useful but would like for Autodesk to spend some time updating it to voice our opinions. Below is a link to an Autodesk customer feedback forum where you have the opportunity to have your voice heard. I encourage everyone who thinks this issue should be given more consideration to cast your vote under the OVERHAUL BACKBURNER issue heading. In order for Autodesk to notice this issue we must concentrate all of our comments and votes under a single item, the vote count must be high enough or they won't look at it.

https://autodesk.uservoice.com/forums/80695-publicgeneralfeaturerequests/category/17131-backburner

Edited by Maxer

Just to be clear, Autodesk is maintaining BB and we have no plans to remove it. This has been the mode for the last few years, so there is nothing "new" here. Maybe people weren't aware of that fact, but BB is very low on our priorities to resource. If you want to influence our priorities, feel free to vote on Uservoice.

For a few years now I have been wondering if BB has had any improvments and been disapointed, but not supprised that it hasn't.

Its robust, fairly stable and a work horse. It works, plain and simple. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't need some attention.

I for one would love to be able to access all the render settings from within manager. And yes I will be adding my vote and this suggestion to the Uservoice.

jhv

Oh BB is a great tool for production, but can also let you down BIG TIME! IMHO this might be one of the biggest things AU can improve, especially if they are keen on improving work flow techniques with 3DsMax. This should definitely become a priority within XBR.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone paying attention to this the Backburner issue is now ranked 17th in importance on the feedback forum. When we started out it was somewere in the 40's so we have made a difference. That's still a far cry from first so if you haven't voted yet please take a moment and make your voice heard.

...guessing they don't want to put resources into backburrner and would rather have AutodesK Cloud where you pay them to network render. (Just a guess)

There is an opportunity to combine the two. Make a more robust local Backburner for rendering that can then seamlessly connect to their cloud service if you find that your local farm is not going to get the job done in time. It has the possibility to generate additional revenue, though I think that the actual amount of revenue generated from it would actually be quite low.

They can also expand this to include Revit, Maya, AutoCAD, Inventor, etc..

The potential hold back I see is that they spent so much time promoting iRay over the past year, and Backburner is not used in GPU rendering.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

Got some of my team to vote this up and its now up to 11th. We use backburner alot so I hope it gets some attention. We wont get budget for a third-party solution. ("as our conclusion might be to leave this to third-parties.")

Same boat here. We use backburner for pretty much everything, so it'd be great to have it updated/retooled.

• 3 weeks later...

So if BB isn't being work on, why do I see these threads about BB not working right after installing Max2012? I've been holding off installing 2012 until the SP arrives in June, but some of the chatter about BB has been disturbing.

I'm resigned to them not improving it dramatically, but I would like it to work. And like someone else mentioned, I don't have the budget to buy and maintain a 3rd party solution.

Here's a thought, AD's recent MO has been to buy 3rd party plugins for the Extension/Subscription update. Maybe they could buy and implement one of the 3rd party render managers?

So if BB isn't being work on, why do I see these threads about BB not working right after installing Max2012? I've been holding off installing 2012 until the SP arrives in June, but some of the chatter about BB has been disturbing.

I'm resigned to them not improving it dramatically, but I would like it to work. And like someone else mentioned, I don't have the budget to buy and maintain a 3rd party solution.

Here's a thought, AD's recent MO has been to buy 3rd party plugins for the Extension/Subscription update. Maybe they could buy and implement one of the 3rd party render managers?

We haven't upgraded yet, but I have seen the threads on this too, but I also have seen postings for the soltuion to the problem.

If I understand correctly the problem is occurring because Backburner 2012 is set to deal with IPv6, which is where we are all heading, but currently 99.9% of us are still using IPv4. I believe there is a way to go into the Window settings, and tell it to ignore IPv6, and only use IPv4, which will make Backburner function normally.

The IPv6 capabilities have been in Backburner for a couple of releases now. I am not sure what AD did to make it become a problem with this install.

...or something like that. You will have to search the threads for the actual steps.