Realistic grass?

RyanSpaulding

hey ryan,

do u have vray or mental ray. if you have vray, u could use vraydisplacement mod. with what jucaro(fellow cgarch member) has taught me, just place a bump map in the map rollout of vraydisplacemod.

as for mental ray, it takes a while to render though, but i can't control it that much. you will have to use mray's displacement. same thing with vray, you will place a bump map.

if you want to know where to get grass materials, check out in the unchallenge area, "mental ray exterior rendering". you might get helpful info. jucaro has placed a link to his website.

note:

big new.jpg - vray version

2.jpg - mental ray version

i kinda like the vray version better than the mental ray one. the grass in the former is much more defined.

okidoks!!!

I don't have the tutorial handy, but that looks to me like it's just a polygon-based scatter of a couple different blades of grass. The gound is just a texture on a plane, with the scatter boundaries set to leave that little path between the two sections.

Anyone else have the link handy for that poly-based scattered grass tutorial?

• 3 months later...

I've found another funny trick to do grass. but i'll guess you need a real powerfull machine to render it on bid scenes. it's more for closeup shots wher you want good looking grass.

Look at this tutorial (for 3dsmax): http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__Hairy_Teapot.htm

and after changing some coulours (from brown to green) you should get something like the image down there. That was a very quick test to show what im talkin about. it's made with Particle Flow and 3dsmax

is suppose with a good optimisation and some nifty textures, it could look quite good. and u could use the same technique to spread some flowers and stones etc.....

hope this helps :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ryan,

I've used the one from suurland a lot. It works great for the stuff up close then just throw a map on stuff that further away. It looks really good up close. If you click on the soccerball that give a pretty good example. The only problem is it's going to give you a really high poly count so you have to have a pretty powerfull computer.

• 3 weeks later...