problem with hair and fur.

juarez85

Hello to everyone, thanks in advance. i need some advice about this problem that happened to me, i'm trying to render a nice carpet in 3ds max 2011 and vray 1.5 sp5, the problem is with the hair and fur modifier, i do what the tutorial says, about the settings in effects using mr prim. when i hit render in fact the dialog box says loading hair aun fur but when the process is finished the only thing in the pic is the box i use but nothing of fur. what can i do? thanks.[ATTACH=CONFIG]42596[/ATTACH]

yeah... the same problem happened to me. i used to think that the change in the work units, is affecting the objects, as i use m instead mm. like the file, but that way at least i would have some rendered fur unscaled or something but nothing happened. we need some master's advice, how we can make the master see this post?...

thanks in advance for taking time to reply, yes i knew mr prim is a mental ray primitive, but is possible ro render hair fur with vray. look at this http://www.vray.com/vray_for_3ds_max/manual/vray_for_3ds_max_hair_and_fur.shtml. also i saw renders and in fact the scene i have comes prepared to render with vray. i don't achieve that... i guess i'm missing some setting or something. but i don't know which one?.... what do you think?

• 3 months later...

Apparently you have to Enable / Load a plugin in Vray 2.0 with Max 2012 in order to enable Hair and Fur (WSM) in the VFB.

The plugin is called: HAIRVRAYOBJ2012.DLO

Unfortunately i can't seem to find it anywhere and it is not in any of my default 2012 folders. Anyone care to share this plugin?

1304779020-clip-335kb.png

6854739483.png

• 9 months later...

ok, little late but i guess it can help other people, you gotta change the active shade to vray RT (in the assign render section) and in the render options of the hair and fur (enviroment/effects) use buffer, only works in the max buffer (duh) and is a little more slower but there is no much difference, i¿'m using max 2012 and vray 2.0, Hope it helps.

t(ಠ_ಠt)

• 2 months later...

I guess some people might still find it usefull as I just have. Found the solution on AREA and would gladly kiss the guy who posted it (thanks lukx)

Effi was right.. its only about turning on one of the vray's plugins (HIARVROBJ2012.DLO). Need to find it in plugins manager (in the customize menu), load it and problem is solved. Works beautifly. supporting all the lights, reflections, even vray frame buffer...

tested on max2012, vray 2.0

• 11 months later...

Hi,

sorry for digging out an old thread, but a kind of similar problem bothers me since several days. I'm running 3Dsmax 2011 (x64) with Vray 2.40, but 3Dsmax crashes when I'm trying to render an scene with hair and fur and mr prim option selected. After transforming the hair vertices and updating the object, it shows "updating instances" - and then 3dsmax crashes. With "geometry" option in Hair and Fur all works well, despite it lacks the mapping options of mr prim, which would be really important to me.

Now comes the fun part: I've made a test on a parallel system - same 3dsmax 2011 and vray 2.4 and it renders the same scene with mr prim perfectly. The only difference: the working system is dual-xeon (quadcore), the crashing system is dual-xeon (hexacore).

Does anybody know if there is an issue with hair and fur / vray mr prim crashing on hexacore cpus? Or could somebody make a small test on a hexacore machine with hair and fur and mr prim? That would be awesome!

Thanks,

Norman

(Plugin HAIRVROBJ2011.DLO is running)

Edited by normanschaar

Ok, problem solved. Hair and Fur has a hardcoded thread limit of 16 (that information comes from an Autodesk representative in another forum), so a hyper-threaded dual-hexacore (24 cores HT) crashes Hair and Fur. I disabled Hyper-Threading and now everything's fine.

Thanks,

Norman

• 6 months later...

Thanks Miguel for the link! I just got my Hair and Fur (WSM) to work just by following the steps on there. I have my renderer set to Vray Edu 2.0 and my active shade to Vray RT and in the environment I chose "mr prim" under hair rendering options and unchecked tip fade and it is starting to look pretty good just by playing with the settings in the general parameters! Super cool!