Revit to Max to OBJ WorkFlow

IanKids

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone here can assist in figuring out the most efficient workflow methodology for getting a revit model to obj via Max,

The specific problem I am struggling with is how to deal with separating materials when importing to Max from Revit.

I have attached a screenshot of the output when I run the Octane obj creator. Whilst there are around 400 materials , figure in brackets, which have come across from revit to max, only 2 of those are being exported to the obj file. The only way I have found around this at the moment is to manually assign max materials to each of the object which will form part of the final render. Once Max materials have been assigned, the export is as expected. It is, a total PITA to have to assign materials three times. Once in Revit - then Max - Then Octane for the final tweaks.

Does anyone know of any easy (automated?) way of assigning max materials whilst maintaining the material name or of merging materials from revit into max material database?

Thanks in advance

Why are you not exporting from Revit using the .fbx file format?

It's the preferd method set by Autodesk to retain data between the two programs.

You should be able to import into Max with full Revit materials already assigned.

You can also grab any material from the Max scene and add it into your sample slots if needed.

It is a one way process though. Max > Revit is an entirely different ball game.

Thanks Paul,

I am exporting to Max via fbx, but I want to then further export it to Octane.

3dsMax is a BIG beast and from a noobs point of view, not at all intuitive. I had been playing with Octane and have found it to be very quick and very easy to deal with changing materials whilst rendering on the fly, hence the desire to find an easy way to deal with the materials as they come across from Revit. The only issue from stopping me having an easy work flow the importation of materials into max from revit - they don't seem to talk to one another that well.

If I cannot find a way around it, I might bite the bullet and put the hours in to learn Max, but as the visualization side of my work is relatively minor, I would rather deal with a much simpler program like Octane.

Cheers,

I think you might be stuck using that particular workflow.

I'm guessing Octane uses it's own natiave materials like most renderers do,

so exporting out of Max into Octane will never give you a usable material library.

Just like Mental Ray can't render Vray materials, scanline can't render both Mental Ray or Vray and so on....

If you are producing basic images there is nothing wrong with using Max, even if you want fast renders.

It might pay you to spend a few hours playing around with the settings.

Just ask if you get stuck.

Edited by Cyberstyle

Thanks Paul,

I will keep playing and see where it takes me. Given that with the new design suites Autodesk is basically allowing a free upgrade to Max (along with some other goodies), for those of us who have existing lesser revit suites, maybe I should put the time into max.