Sharing your files?

I have a potential client that outsources a lot of rendering work and I'm trying to get some of it, the one problem I have with the way they do business is they have their 3d artists hand over their models once the project is over. I'm talking about everything including lighting, cameras and materials, they say they need it for quick re-renders. Normally I would just say no but these aren't typical renderings there a combination of 3d & 2d work; I won't have anything to do with the 2d portion so the image won't be 100% mine. I'm torn between wanting the job but also not wanting to give away any "secrets" that I've learned. I'd just like to hear what some of you would do in this situation.

If you feel that strongly that how you are doing things is that different/unique, then its almost a no brainer, don't do it. Although I have to say, there isn't much these days that is uniquely ours. Most of us have learnt from pretty much the same resources and come to pretty much the same conclusions.

You have the choice not to use your secrets.

It also comes down to how emotionally tied you are to the image. Are you able to let someone else butcher your hard work? as it may feel like they are doing that, even if they are not. By not being involved on the 2D side, you will have to relenquish control over the final product.

Personally I wouldn't have any problem handing over the model, as it was asked for right from the beginning. Asking for the model after the fact is a different matter.

jhv

there are also other things you might consider such as if there are any copyright issues involved. Like if you use any evermotion or other models in your scenes, would it be legal to share those items with your client? I have one client who regularly requests that I give them the 3d model with the same "quick re-render" excuse, and typically I do. I have no problem with trade secrets as I know there is a lot more involved to what we do then "secrets". Experience, collections and libraries, hardware and software, time available, those are the sorts of things that I know will keep them coming to me, even with my "secrets" exposed :-)

I'd agree with Sanchez about the copyright issues. I've been involved with a lot of researching the sharing of 3D content bewteen my firms branch offices, you need to be careful about what "types" of content may be included with your MAX model. At my past visualization company, we would be willing to turn over the 3D models to the clients, but we charged an extra fee for it, and we'll always stripped out copyrighted objects.

Just like architects' construction documents, the client has the right to a certain number of hardcopy prints, but the CAD files are the intellectual property of the architect, and are not given to the client without negotiating a fee and agreement for how they will be used. I'd suggest that when you draft up contracts in the future, be sure to clarifiy that you retain the ownership of the 3D model unless an agreement is established.

Like I said this is kind of a strange situation these aren't normal renderings in the since that I'll be doing all the work myself. Basically I'll render out the space with any furniture needed and someone else will be adding 2d elements to it and doing what ever tweaking is necessary. They want the files so that if they need to re-render something it can be done quickley, I realize by handing the files over I'm effectivley eliminating any additional money I could make on re-renders but I don't have much of a choice.

Are these custom object already made or do you still need to make them? Either way it should be factored in that they can't re-use/ distribute them with out your permission. If they are specific to that project then you'd problably have to agree to the same terms, and not use them in other projects.

jhv

I would personally approach it in three ways -

1, have an additional charge for buying the models, and all the rights to reuse them when ever they want. Price high so you either make a nice lump sum, or they are scared off and you haven't lost your trade secrets and expertise.

2, ask to be paid every time your work is used, similar to royalties.

3, arrange a fixed fee and time scales for future re-renderings. If you cant produce the work in time, then hand over the files, but again at a pre-arranged cost.

I would also ask them to agree to a none disclosure contract, so they can't share your files with anyone without your permission first. It's one thing having your client have your files, but you dont want your competitors getting their hands on them!

I would also ask them to agree to a none disclosure contract, so they can't share your files with anyone without your permission first. It's one thing having your client have your files, but you dont want your competitors getting their hands on them!

Greeat idea!