3dsmax 2012 viewport problem

lambros

I have 3dsmax Design 2012 installed, with the hotfix applied. My GPU is an ATI 5750, and worked smoothly with 2010 and 2011.

Eversince I installed 2012 (before and after the hotfix), whenever the files get polygon heavy I have the following problem: when I perform a viewport operation, such as pan or orbit or zoom or select, there is a lag of 1-2 seconds before I can do another one. This happens ONLY on perspective or camera views, shaded or not. The same thing does NOT happen on top or front/left/right views even there may be 8 million polygons on a shaded or wireframe view.

It seems weird because if for example I do an orbit operation on a perspective viewport, it is really smooth on files of millions of polygons. but when I release the mouse button it freezes for 1-2 seconds. I presume it must be caching data on the GPU or something, but I can't be sure about that.

I have the latest ATI drivers (11.5 suite) installed and max is using the Nitrous drivers, although the same thing happens with Direct X and OpenGL (they are a bit slower though)

My question is: does anybody experience the same problem? Is it an ATI problem? Should I try an NVIDIA card?

I have a problem with 2012, and i hope a get an answer to it soon.

I can not see a material applied in the view port.

As usual it worked fine in 2011, why change things, jesus it's anoying when your on adeadline and you find the little things you are used to someone hads decided to move the features around.

So where have autodesk moved the show materials in View port.

please, getting fed up with the so called new update.

Phil

• 6 months later...

I have finally decide to move from Max Design 2011 to 2012 but Cannot see my materials in the viewport.

Even after insatllaing SP2 and the advanced pack - nothing changed.

I am using Vray and my hardware is quite capable ( GTX285 with 1.56 gigs RAM) my PC is I7 8 cores + 24 gigs of RAM.

Any ideas ?

Will ADESK find a solution ?

NIR

Ken

Actually - if I go to the map itself )in the MEDIT) and press the "show map in viewport" - it does !

but then I go tho the viewport menu and check the Materials >> Shaded Materials with Maps and BOOM - it is gone.

Sounds to me like ADESK is the one to fix it...

Could it be an issue with the menu itself ?

I am trying to create a macroscript to deal with it .

BTW most of the people doing VIZ use Vray - ADESK should support us as well.

NIR

It sounds like a vray issue? Right? Why would you expect us to display vray materials in the viewport? That is the job of Chaos Group to make it happen.
Absolutely right; it's not Autodesk's problem. That a large number of us use vray in 3ds Max is a non-factor; it's still up to Chaos Group to make it work (and they do a great job of it too!). Nirsul, if you're serious about getting technical help, then post your problem on the Chaos Group forum.

But, Vray materials display just fine in my 2012 viewports, though, so this sounds like a problem with your system. If you haven't already, download the latest updates of your nvidia driver, Vray (2.2 was released just a day or two ago), and 3ds Max (you should be using service pack 2).

Edited by David Arbogast

I have finally decide to move from Max Design 2011 to 2012 but Cannot see my materials in the viewport.

Even after insatllaing SP2 and the advanced pack - nothing changed.

I am using Vray and my hardware is quite capable ( GTX285 with 1.56 gigs RAM) my PC is I7 8 cores + 24 gigs of RAM.

Any ideas ?

Will ADESK find a solution ?

NIR

I didn't have this problem until I did what you said and I too, re-created the same problem. what I noticed is this. Applying a vray material and checking show in viewport works fine as long as my viewport is set to [shaded + edged faces]. However, if I go to the viewport menu and select - materials > shaded materials with maps - I also lose the bitmap in the viewport. BUT I noticed that the reason this happens is because the second you click on "shaded materials with maps" the "show in viewport" button resets itself to be turned off. clicking it back on returns the bitmap to the viewport.

so while you check the material to show in viewport, using the viewport menu to select shaded with maps cancels it out. I'm guessing because this is the same command in a Global sense? the viewport menu option turns ALL maps on and off as a toggle. where as the "show is viewport" is a per material command.

• 1 month later...
It sounds like a vray issue? Right? Why would you expect us to display vray materials in the viewport? That is the job of Chaos Group to make it happen.

This is a terrible stance to take when issues in your software occur. I am having the same issue with every type of material: Arch & Design or Standard. There are obviously many people having issues with the new release and instead of appreciating the number of users who have decided to entrust their livelihood to Autodesk, you respond with a condescending, finger-pointing comment.

Nitrous/3ds Max 2012 is hindering my workflow extremely. Please offer any positive, helpful input to solve the issues, expecially the viewport textures' absence.

Thank you

"My software" is 3ds Max and it doesn't ship with Vray. Vray integrates their product with ours with our help, not the other way around. Of course we help the Vray team to understand the issues and sometimes, the problem is on our side, in which we work to resolve it. In this case, it seems a problem that Chaos Group owns despite your feelings to the contrary. It's the same way with every piece of software on the planet. We're responsible for what we ship, not what others ship that sits on our software. If I have a bug in 3ds Max, am I supposed to tell Microsoft to fix it because we run on Windows? That's equivalent to what you're saying.

hey man what's up, i had the same problem with my version first time i intalled it but i figure it out where the problem come from, it was from the shading propreties, you just have to switch from the realistic mod to shaded mod as in 3ds max 2011 and you'll have your speed back ;) look at this picture

2iqmkpc.jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2iqmkpc&s=5

have fun :)

Edited by chekspear

• 3 months later...

Hi, im having the following problem with max 2012 64bit student edition on a 2010 macbook pro with bootcamp:

After a render, the viewport will no longer display the model. It now takes "screenshots" of what ever window i open on top of max. Like if I open up google chrome and switch back to max, it will now have copied the area of chrome where the viewport would be running behind chrome (or any other program). The viewport is not frozen per say, as i can still select stuff (blindly) and i can right click in it. But it does just not display anything. I have to restart max every time and thats pretty annoying.

Any suggestions?

Don't use Nitrous. Revert back to DirectX. Nitrous is nothing but a headache in 2012.

Jens, it sounds like you need to set Max to properly refresh your windows. It's under your configure your display driver in Max. Set it to redraw on windows expose. Or it's an issue with your computer's display card. Easy solution, don't switch windows while in Max. Also, make sure you are not in Nitrous. That may not play well with a Mac.

Jens, it sounds like you need to set Max to properly refresh your windows. It's under your configure your display driver in Max. Set it to redraw on windows expose. Or it's an issue with your computer's display card. Easy solution, don't switch windows while in Max. Also, make sure you are not in Nitrous. That may not play well with a Mac.

Thanks Scott, i'll google how to do both your suggestions and then report back! (only started using max a few weeks ago).