Learning about ALL of the Modifiers

RyanSpaulding

Basically, when I was taught Max, it wasn't very thorough. They didn't teach opacity maps, lighting techniques, ect

One of the major problems I've run into is knowing what it is that all the modifiers do. Up until this site, I had NO knowledge of the FDD modifier or the Relax modifier.

Is there a site that has all of this info? Thanks in advance!

Your best resource for something like that is the trusty users manual. There is some fairly detailed info on all the modifiers. It will take a long time to go through them all. I've been using (and even teaching) max for about 6 years now and I still don't know them all, most of those are the animation modifiers I would say though.

Sometimes, when you are learning a huge program like max, it isn't as important to know every option and feature the program has, but just to know that something exists and where to look it up.

Scanning through the printed users manual, or looking at the help system and browsing at the modifier names and brief descriptions at least creates those little mental hooks you'll need later. So when you find yourself working in max you'll have an "Ah ha!" moment as you remember that there is a modifier that might do what you need to do.

Still, there is no substitute for doing whatever tutorials you can find that fits your area of interest. :)

Jenni

This may sound really strange.....

Take the manual with you- haircuts, dentist, doctor anywhere you have a little time to sit and browse-AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Go through the index and ask yourself- do I know what this does for real and sure. If it's something you don't know look up ALL the pages, maybe take a couple notes, how can I use this, what does it do, what do parameters do.....

Get excited about trying it out. Then a while later sit down at the computer and try it from memory, then hit the help files!

It's a good way to train the brain and retain stuff you don't use everyday, but you will start using the new much more than you do now, imho.

Just a thought

I do it all the time :rolleyes: !

WDA