Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: vray fly through animation with some object animation

Name
    Dwayne Schnell
    Forum Username
    loklomedia

Canada

Question vray fly through animation with some object animation

I'm going to be rendering a fly through interior, and haven't actually rendered out a sequence yet. But.. in reading, I'm worried that the only way to create smooth interior fly throughs is using the method to save irr map to disk, light cache to disk, then rendering the final with these loaded. Is that really the only way? seems slow and clunky to get smooth results (besides brute force/cranked up settings).
    I'm getting some blotchiness as it is now, and am playing with some custom irr map settings... slow...
    [rant]
    I bought v-ray thinking I'd get better results quicker; but that simply isn't the case. Wondering now why I bought it... giving me just as many headaches to stumble through the settings to make something look good as with MR.
    [/rant]
    Last edited by loklomedia; June 21st, 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Name
    sanjay bhosale
    Forum Username
    sanmb

United Arab Emirates

Default Re: vray fly through animation with some object animation

can you upload image ?

Name
    Dwayne Schnell
    Forum Username
    loklomedia

Canada

I will in about 7 hours... just heading out the door right now.

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

Quote Originally Posted by loklomedia View Post
    I'm going to be rendering a fly through interior, and haven't actually rendered out a sequence yet. But.. in reading, I'm worried that the only way to create smooth interior fly throughs is using the method to save irr map to disk, light cache to disk, then rendering the final with these loaded. Is that really the only way? seems slow and clunky to get smooth results (besides brute force/cranked up settings).]
    Dwayne the only way to successfully render out an animation is to pre render LC & IR maps unless you're using BF in which case this step isn't necessary. The blotchiness your getting is the result of your LC & IR settings not being high enough, but be careful not to crank them too high or your render times will explode. Vray is very fast but only if you know what you're doing, if this is your fist time using it get ready for a steep learning curve.
    I make fake things for real people to convince them fake things are real.

Name
    Dwayne Schnell
    Forum Username
    loklomedia

Canada

Thanks.
    The blotchiness your getting is the result of your LC & IR settings not being high enough
    - which setting is more influential for the blotchiness? I haven't had time to fully test on simple scenes on my own, but will be doing a lot more proper learning and testing next week.

Since I'm also a student, my computers have a lot of 'idle' time potential - so I rendered 200 frames last night and this morning at 848x480 - here's a 240p version (mp4) http://loklomedia.com/files/loklo-interior-test1.zip - though the render times were slower than I'd like - 7-8 minutes on my overclocked Intel q9550 @ 3.4GHz (plus two q6600s and an i7 2600 - the slowest q6600 takes 12-14 minutes/frame).
    This test is smoother than I was expecting, but still not ideal.
    -A still is attached.

So in pre-rendering the LC/IR maps - should I do every 10th frame typically? Does that give the smoothest results? Or will it be messed up with the rotating fan? (I suppose I could comp the fan in... but I don't have much experience with that, and don't have time to mess around with it.

Thanks for any tips and pointers.
    oh... settings. they're attached now too.
    oh and camera and light settings attached now too, standard VraySky for env.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by loklomedia; June 21st, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

Because you have an object that is moving (the fan) you'll need to use the "Render Prepass" mode in your IR map. This mode renders every frame of your animation out instead of every 10th. In animations where nothing is moving but the camera you can use multiframe incremental and render out every 5th or 10th frame. The more frames of the IR & LC maps you pre render the better your light solution will be. It looks like most of the flickering your seeing is the result of not pre rendering your light maps so by doing that most of your issues will be fixed.

Name
    Dwayne Schnell
    Forum Username
    loklomedia

Canada

ok thanks.
    I haven't found a reason for pre-rendering the light maps, especially if every frame - how is that different than just letting those light maps render per frame with the beauty pass? or is it because every frame's light solution is visible per frame, thus still providing a sort of blurred result?
    edit:
    does the same apply for exterior type animations? Even if only IR is used? my exterior is decent, but a but blotchy on the house walls, etc.
    Last edited by loklomedia; June 21st, 2011 at 03:51 PM.

Name
    Devin Johnston
    Forum Username
    Maxer

United States

The reason to pre-render light maps is to stop the kind of flickering your getting in the example you provided. It's flickering because each machine on your network is rendering out it's frame just a little different compared to the machines around it. The pre-rendered light map tells each machine how to render and as a result there's no flickering. You have to use different methods of pre-rendering depending on what's in the scene.

Name
    Dwayne Schnell
    Forum Username
    loklomedia

Canada

thanks for that. Seems I read that somewhere...

Any comment on my GI settings vs. render time?

Name
    Dwayne Schnell
    Forum Username
    loklomedia

Canada

arrg I'm not cut out for this trial and error method of making an animation look good. I'm considering scanline again.
    Renders now taking 13-15 minutes per frame, and still no better at all.

I saved the LC - which took about 45 minutes at 3800 subdivs over 653 frames. Now I'm baking the IR map again, taking ~10 minutes just to create the three passes of the IR map per frame. I'll never get this project done if I need to fart around like this every time to make it look good.
    Please... what am I doing wrong? I'm ready to throw the whole office out the window. This is a paid project, which was due two weeks ago, and I'm not getting paid enough (bid too low). I've got ~1 million polys, mostly vray materials, though some standard, and some A&D (I read in several places that A&D materials don't need conversion unless you need something specific/fine tuned). (these non-vray mats are from imported/merged objects).

Even when dropping in a default gray vray mat into the mat'l override, it still takes 5-6 minutes to render at 848x480. I've turned the depth param to 1-2 for most of the prominent materials with any glossy reflection, trying to be conservative where possible and keep it looking adequate.

Now an exterior render which used to take 3-4 minutes per frame is up to 30 minutes. man-o-man- I'm going bonkers.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information