Case studies - reproducing architectural photography - copyright issues?

JohnW3D

Hi guys,

I am learning Vray after getting quite familiar with mental ray (all within 3ds) - I want to do a series of studies where I am basically taking really top notch architectural photography and reproducing it - as a study in getting materials to respond *just* as I want them to, lighting, mood, precise post processing, and so on. I feel like it is easy to "make up" a scene, and light it in whatever way seems best/easiest, but I think it is likely to be a more challenging/rewarding experience to be forced to achieve a particular look.

I wonder - is this common practise, and if so do you guys have any advise as far as copyright goes? Ideally these pieces will form part of my portfolio of architectural stills but I don't want to infringe copyright by producing images of sites that architects have sole rights the reproduce and so on. Is it as simple as asking permission...or perhaps changing enough of the scene to avoid copyright issues?

Thanks

John

I haven't done this yet but I've been thinking along the same lines. I think it will be a good exercise as you say. Love to hear from people who've gone through this and any suggestions they may have as well as any possible inspirational images/websites.

As for the copyright, I don't think you have any obligation unless you actually use the photograph in your portfolio as a comparison in which case you'd just need to give credit. Still, it might be a good professional courtesy to somehow reference the photographer or something even if you don't show their image.

-Brodie

I'm working for now on reproducing some photo from a book named: Mexican Design. I can't show you result of what i'm working on for now as i'm a beginner... and i'm far from the end but there is a nice place to search for architectural, inside/outside design book:

http://www.daab-media.com/Books/Daab_Books/index.html

Same thing here but with oldest book: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=daab

These, for me, are good to find a nice design i would love to make, then you can always search for more source of the same project. That's what i've done, found a design i liked in the book with some pretty amazing pictures, then using the name of the building/architect/place to find more about it, even on Google Earth btw to see it from the top and using Streetview when available.

This is not a CAD file... ready to extrude, but that's nice to search and learn about the building at the same time.