Could someone tell me why the fine lines in this video flickers. I think its the AA but I've tried everything...well almost. I recently tried Detail Enhancement and that didnt work.

Here are my settings

Adaptive DMC

AREA 1.5

Reinhard

Subpixel Mapping checked

Affect Background checked

Adaptive Image Sampler:

Min 1

Max100

Clr thresh .005

Use DMC sampler thresh unchecked

Animation prepass then Animation render with Irradiance Map and Light cache following the directions here http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/tutorials_anim2.htm

Irradiance map:

min -3

max 0

Hsph subdivs 50

Interp samples 20

Clr thresh .2

Nrm thresh .2

Dist Thresh .9

Use camera path checked

Light cache:

subdivs: 2000

Sample size .02

Scale: screen (I tried world but I kept running out of ram)

Filter: Nearest

use camera path checked

Interp Samples: 5

DMC Sampler:

Adaptive amount .85

Noise Threshold: .001

Min Samples 20

Global subdivs multiplier 1.0

video here:

I wonder if u have saved your irradiance map and light cache map, try saving it it also reduces time and flicker a it does not calculate both for every frame,

and try for the settings:-

Image sampler-

Adaptive DMC,

Sharp Quadratic,

Color Mapping-

Linear multiply.

Irradiance map-

low,

Hp Subd-50

Int Samp-20

Show calc phase ticked

And save map.

Light Cache-

Subd-1000

Samp size-0.02

And save map.

Keep settings as simple as possible Try it dude.

Show calc phase ticked

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/tutorials_imap2.htm an excellent tutorial on vray GI animations....

using precalculated IM and LC is kinda mandatory (and speeds things up CONSIDERABLY), only thing you should keep in mind (and what you've already realized on your own) is that with big scenes using world scale is not the best solution, as you'll tend to run out of ram pretty quickly...just use screen with fly through mode

thanks for the replys guys! ronnypandit13, I tried those exact settings by rendering out about 6 frames but got the same exact flickering. I rendered out those 6 frames to a quicktime animation just like I rendered out my other video with the flickeringhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7hvg6Yjydc

but for some reason you tube displays no video with this message Failed (unable to convert video file)

I'm thinking because its only 6 frames.

I was reading Francesco Legrenzi - VRay The Complete Guide and found this: Check sample visibility - this is a parameter used during rendering. When it is active, only samples which are directly mutually visible to each other are used by V Ray for interpolation. It is a very useful parameter to avoidproblems caused by the interpolation of samples which are near each other but divided by a small surface such as a thin structure.

I do have exactly that: samples which are near each other but divided by a small surface such as a thin structure...so Im gonna try this next. I am precalcing the light cache right now for fly through and I might as well precalc the irradiance map right now too!

Alyosha, you're right about precalcing IM and LC but from what I've read about animation prepass and animation render I thought I was guaranteed to not get any flickering.I'll just precalc them both now.

I also learned my lesson precalcing light cache with world scale in outside environments. I think they actually advise against it on a tutorial on spot 3d. However cant you just uncheck Render to memory buffer under V-Ray Frame Buffer to remedy this problem of running out of memory with world scale since it will render directly to hard drive with no window displaying the samples being built?

Edited by edit.this@hotmail.com

Well, by turning off render to frame buffer you should save some ram but you'll still be running out for the render if you use world scale, this trick is only to be used when you're running out of ram by a small margin or something.

Just use screen scale (with fly through mode) for your exterior renders, works just as well.

And do every 5th-10th render for the ir map precalc (usually I use every 10th for exteriors, do a test with first 50 frames or so and see if you get a splotchless render, otherwise, make it more often)