VRay Light Maps going funky

BexFX

Hi all,

I'm working with Max 2011 and Vray 1.5, today on a new project something funky has started to happen while I'm rendering off my light passes (irradiance map and light cache).

Popping up in the Irradiance Map are ugly fluorescent blobs of green and orange, no such colours are in the scene, but there are dark greens and dark browny orange. I couldn't get rid of it out of the irradiance map pass until I changed the light cache over to brute force, then everything went back to normal colours, but what is causing the light cache to mess up like that? Tried playing with some settings in colour mapping and increasing the subdivs a bit but it still keeps doing it.

:- ?

Bex.

Nope, not VrayMtlWrapper. It's a stock environment so I'm thinking there is somethin weird going on in the file. If I render the orginal everything renders fine, when I bring all the assets into a new max file though it messes up.

I've created an identical file to the original. Saved all the render settings into a preset and brought it into that file and it will go wrong where the original goes right.

Ok, just did another test, thinking it might be something in the lighting, I turned off all the vray lights. Only a dimm daylight blue was on in the GI to illuminate the scene. I hit render and find aliens have invaded my towels.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43716[/ATTACH]

Any idea's people?

Couple of things to try.... do a render with a Vray override material. Vray doesn't like non vray materials and if something has escaped a material allocation, this may cause a Vray brainstorm.

Likewise - so can badly intersecting poly's.... it may be worth checking the modelling and tidying that up a bit. This has definitely caused me similar lighting explosions / light cache issues in the past.

Worth checking these anyway.

Good luck

Likewise - so can badly intersecting poly's.... it may be worth checking the modelling and tidying that up a bit. This has definitely caused me similar lighting explosions / light cache issues in the past.

Yep it was those damn towels. Once I deleted them out the scene everything rendered perfect. I've never encounted intersecting poly's causing light explosions before, how very annoying.

Thanks,

Bex