backburner jobs can't obtain v-ray license on certain render nodes

andreg

I’ve been having this problem lately with one of my render nodes not seeing the v-ray license while using backburner. Now my main workstation has that same problem. When I render directly through max using v-ray , all is fine but when backburner sends a render, it doesn’t see the license with either error (0) or (-209) from one time to another.

I had recent problems with my outlook crashing for no apparent reason so the IT here created a new user in windows and copied the settings from to previous user account into that new one. Could this be a part of the problem? I don’t know what to do about this issue anymore. Please help!

What version of Windows are you using on the license machine? Historically, non-server editions of Windows have had a max 10 connection limit. Though, I've heard that's up to 20 or possibly even removed with Windows 7. So if you have a render farm larger than 10-20 boxes, and all request a license at near the same time, the license machine will refuse the connections.

How's your network speed? There could be a bottleneck in there during rendering that drags down response time, and Max and Vray have very high, almost diva, demands and don't wait. If it's not an instant response to either, they crash or just shut down.

Make sure that license machine can be seen by all boxes and at all times.

Thanks Scott. I only have 3 renders nodes and 2 workstations. So the max connection is not the issue. I am using XP64 across all machines with max 2011 v-ray 1.5 and backburner 2008.1.1

All the computers see the license, even more odd... I can render with my workstation no problem and all is fine but when backburner submit a job to the same workstation , the job is received, everything starts ups and when time comes to start rendering it just jams on "Transforming vertices" and then the backburner server gives the could not obtain license error. I have tried many many things to try and fix this issue but nothing is working.

I reinstalled backburner, I gave each machine a static IP and everything is pointing to the right places. I have the same settings as the workstation next to me (which works just perfect) and still nothing works!!

I am seriously starting to think about reformatting which I would like to avoid. I have only 2 out of the 5 available computer working.

What happens if you open up the max file on the farm machine? Will it get a Vray license? Try taking backburner out of the mix and see if Max, on the farm box, can obtain a Vray license.

The actual zip file from the manager box that has the farm submitted max file should be in your backburner folder on the render machine if I'm not mistaken. This way, you use the actual file in question that that'll eliminate a whole lot of things.

I can't seem to find any zip (or max) file in the backburner folder on the machine that has the manager running.

Also the render nodes only have a deployment of max so I can't run max from there as it is not activated

This is the weirdest problem I have ever seen in my 3D career

Edited by andreg

The max file should be in a folder called "Jobs" inside the backburner/network folder on either the manager or the render slave. For this case, you want to check the one on the render slave. Unless you installed to a custom folder these are located inside the program files x86 if you are on 64 bit.

You may be able to fire up max using a network floating license, or maybe that's not feasible anymore. Where I used to work, we had a floating license of max to help test network issues like this.

Check all of the firewalls on your render slaves too, to ensure that they aren't blocking the licensing. Especially that annoying Windows firewall that seems to want to reset itself every so often and forget it's own settings. It's been a while since I was on XP, but make sure the render boxes are running Max in admin mode (is that on XP or did that start with Vista?).

You may want to scratch that render box and do a clean install. At least then, you'd get 30 days of trial Max so you can figure things out.