Switching from Cinema4d over to Max?

adamchase

Thinking about making the plunge and switching apps. It just seems like it would open more doors for me in the future with more work possibilities.

Anyone else switched from one app over to Max? Whats your thoughts?

There is so much training material for Max it seems like I wouldn't have a hard time re-learning everything.

I've been in the process of switching (or at least augmenting) from sketchup to Max for a year or so. There are a lot of tutorials but don't underestimate the learning curve. In my estimation 3ds Max is a huge garbled nonintuitive mess. On the other hand it's used by everyone and it can do pretty much everything so it's got that going for it.

-Brodie

• 2 weeks later...

If you already know how to model, then all you really need to do is learn the UI of max. Where the buttons are and what they are called, and more than likely they will be called differently than other software programs. Base modeling is the same in any program.

You must set up your keyboard shortcuts, ribbon, and your quad to your liking if you want to use max effectively. If you simply rely on the old, I'll go look for things in the menu, then you'll take forever to complete things. Max is a massive program that can do far more than what you'll use it for and you'll have a lot of tools you won't use. So rather than have them clutter up the menu's, take the time to customize Max for what you use it for. Keyboard shortcuts are an absolute must.

I've switched from Max to Maya, XSI, and C4D without much pain. I just had to learn 3 totally new and different menu set ups. But modeling was the same in all 4.

Edited by VelvetElvis

I don't necessarily agree with the statement that switching to Max is easy if you know how to model.

I learned to model in a highly precise solid modeling application, FormZ. Max is anything but a highly precise solid modeler, so I had to learn the basics aspects of box, polygon, and spline modeling in Max in order to get up and running.

I also had to let go of the notion that I needed to be precise, because Max is not design for precision CAD style modeling. If that is what you need, then you would be better off with AutoCAD or Inventor.

I don't know what type of modeler Cinema is, but there may be a slight curve to learning to effectively model.

I would start with this...

http://www.lynda.com/3ds-Max-9-tutorials/modeling/401-2.html