ArchViz training material advice?

Brodie Geers

I've been subscribing to 3d World for a couple years now but, while I enjoy it, I no longer feel like I'm getting my money's worth. There's rarely anything that I've found helpful in the way of archviz training and while I enjoy the free assets that are included on the CD, I don't find myself using them much (I do mostly exterior renderings so the sofas and bowls are all collecting dust).

So I'm looking for some advice on where I might better spend about $300 USD for some training material. Let me try and explain where I'm at and what I might be interested in.

I've been doing ArchViz for about 3+ years now working mostly with SketchUp, Maxwell Render, and Photoshop. I've been trying to grasp 3ds Max & V-Ray so that if I get the opportunity to work in an archviz firm I'll have the required knowledge (I'm currently a one-man team at a design build firm). I'd also like to have the ability to do animations with Vray.

Here are some things I'm weak in...

1. modeling in 3ds Max

2. understanding/creating materials in Vray

3. exterior rendering setup (combo of environtment, camera, and render settings) in Vray

Here are some things I think I could be better at...

1. composition (creating a beautiful photographic composition through camera placement, vegetation arrangement, color, etc.)

2. high end post-production (I have a solid knowledge of PS as a tool but I feel I could benefit from some techniques like how best to add details like wear and tear, limited amounts of dirt to add realism without looking dirty, and other details in PS as well as more general tweaks that might be used by architectural photographers)

I currently have 3DATS Beginner to Intermediate 3ds max book and really liked it. I'll definitely be looking into the next book in the series. I also have 2 Vray tutorials from Gnomon (GI for interiors and exteriors).

Any suggestions?

-Brodie

I'd looked at that before. It looked very promising although I was confused why they chose such an abstract sort of project rather than a more realistic sort of arch-viz project (something not so cartoony). I take it the information provided is still pertinent to archviz then?

I noticed that the Intermediate to Advanced book is sold out. I've put in an email to see when they expect to be on sale again as that seems to be at the top of my list so far. Has anyone done the Intermediate cgschool course that seems to fit along with the book? It looks like a nice alternative but it'd take up my whole $300 budget and I think I'd rather have the book as a reference tool for later rather than having to watch the whole 18 hours of training periodically to try and catch new things or remember stuff I'd forgotten.

-Brodie

You have to get out of the "I can only study arch viz tutorials if I want to succeed in arch viz." mentality. That book teaches everything (and then some) that you will ever use in arch viz or in any other CG industry. You have to diversify yourself, you can't lock yourself in the arch viz box.

The book covers:

Modeling: You do that in arch viz. And this also covers organic modeling, which you will also do that in arch viz. It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon style or not, modeling skills are modeling skills. The more styles of modeling you know, the more desirable you are to future employers. I won't hire someone who only shows hard surface modeling. What if I have to have you make a furniture piece? What if the building I get is more organic in nature?

Lighting: Pretty sure you do that in arch viz as well. This covers both day and night and adds a little more artistic flare to it rather than your standard -oh look it's a 2PM sunlight shot.

I'm not going to continue on with the list, but you get the idea. Think outside, far outside, of the arch viz box. Everyone in this industry has the standards down, and no one stands out. Everyone has the concrete house in the forest shot. Again, make yourself stand out.

Interesting. I certainly see what you're saying. Would you not say that there's perhaps a progression though? To me it seems wise to start by learning the (boring) standards because they're, presumably, what you'll use most often and they tend to be what the client is looking for ("that night shot looks great but it doesn't clearly illustrate what the exterior looks like in terms of color and detail. can you show me something more around 2pm?"). At least that's been my experience.

I've found a number of furniture tutorials and some organic architectural tutorials but those are what I'd be doing the least. I still find myself scratching my head when it comes to the best way to take some simple AutoCAD elevations of a boxy hospital and turn them into an exterior. I've learned to do it very quickly and efficiently in Sketchup but I've been unable to find an advantage to using 3ds Max instead for that task, other than the fact that I may be in a position down the road where I'm at a firm using 3ds Max. I keep getting turned off by trying to learn it on my own when it seems so slow in comparison.

To take what you said and flip it on its end, you also wouldn't hire someone who ONLY showed furniture, frank gehry buildings, and night shots I suspect.

-Brodie

1. modeling in 3ds Max

3. exterior rendering setup (combo of environtment, camera, and render settings) in Vray

1. composition (creating a beautiful photographic composition through camera placement, vegetation arrangement, color, etc.)

2. high end post-production (I have a solid knowledge of PS as a tool but I feel I could benefit from some techniques like how best to add details like wear and tear, limited amounts of dirt to add realism without looking dirty, and other details in PS as well as more general tweaks that might be used by architectural photographers)

Brodie, I would encourage you to look into Evermotion's Archviz Training DVD. I was extremely happy with this purchase. They cover almost every topic you are looking to improve upon: modeling, Vray Mats, ... Seems like it might be in your budget range as well.

The only downside is that it's not book format (which is what I think you're leaning towards), pretty much movie tutorials packaged into a Flash book.

Brodie

Read my review on the Max One Project book on here, don't be put off by the cover.

With regards your points see below

1. modeling in 3ds Max

Poly-Modeling in 3DS Max book from Amazon, also check out Grant Warwicks Fundamentals videos on Vimeo, one you understand the techniques in those two, you can model anything.

Same as mental ray really, but just understand the settings of it using Spot3D, failing that read plenty of Making of's, there are hundreds these days all giving great insights and tips on materials.

Again, the same as mental ray, only your exposure controls are on the camera. stick a saylight system in there, change the sun to a vray sun instead of mrsun in the drop downs, vray sky instead of physical sky, and vray dome light instead of mrsky - just remembering to pick 'no skylight' in the daylight system

Read architectural magazines, take note of how the images are composed, don't limit yourself to looking solely for arch viz training, composition is the same in arch viz, film, photography - photography websites, books on cinematography etc

again read making of's like the ones all over 3d total and ronen bekermans site, and evermotion. the only issue with this is that it comes down to personal taste, but you could search more simpler things such as colour grading techniques used in films etc, but as you say you know PS as a tool, so use your knowledge to develop your own style. Post work is probably the most flexible part of what we do nothing is set in stone really, i find a lot of the images that look good after a good photoshop treatment are generally due to peoples understanding of colour, so get brushed up on colour theory etc,

Anyway enough from me.

Hope you find what your after

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

It looks like I may be teaching a course in Architectural Visualization this winter in Oslo for 35 students. I have almost no time to prepare the course it will have to based partly on the course material on an existing book on architecture visualization, although I ideally would like to create it based on existing projects we have done in Placebo Effects. Maybe I can do that for some of the practical exercises.

Just to let you know the "3ds Max 2011 - One Project from Start to Finish" is not a candidate.

I have looked at the 3DATS book "3ds Max 2008 Architectural Visualization Beginner to Intermediate" but since I dont have the book it is difficult. Also I have two issues with this book. First - 3DATS dont have many copies left, and two it is based on Max 2008. The Intermediate to Advanced book will be too advanced I think. Maybe I could use a couple of chapters from "3ds Max 2010 Architectural Visualization - Advanced to Expert" dunno.

I have basically 6 weeks and 12 lectures + workshop time (3 hours per 2 hour lecture) to teach these students a basic understanding of architecture visualization. They will be familiar with basic 3D Studio Max, or so I hope, and principles of 3D visualization such as form, composition and color (again I hope).

Initially I want to start with knowledge about the architecture design process, terms, then image composition and storytelling in images, and about CAD and Revit and how architects create buildings in various softwares. Then on to how to create a few arch viz still images and a short animation. A bare minimum in terms of tutorials will be to have them do ONE interior image, ONE exterior photomatch illustration and a short animation that is edited to make a whole.

I am also considering using some online tutorials providing I am allowed to use them in this way to teach 35 people.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

Regards,

Kim Baumann Larsen

I agree with most of what Dave Buckley said..

Here are some of my suggestions

1. modeling in 3ds Max - I've seen countless of dvds and tutorials, and have come across some that are very good and some not so. Check out Grant Warwicks Fundamentals videos for a complete intro of the tools you'll need in Max to model just about anything.

I don't know if you use Maya but since Maya's polygon modelling tools/methodology are similar to Max and other softwares, I highly recommend checking out the Gnomon DVD titled "Automotive Modeling Techniques" Its a Maya dvd but based on poly-modelling workflow which you can apply to Max. I found this dvd EXTREMELY helpful because the instructor talks about HOW to approach any modeling project, one as complex as a car. Most modeling tutorials I've seen in the past just tell you what tools to use and show you how to model with it, while failing to teach one how to approach/tackle a big modeling task. I realized it doesn't matter how well you know the tools in a software, if you don't know how to approach a modelling job, you'll most likely end up making a mess out of the model. I wish I had seen this tutorial before many others. It would have saved me countless of headache.

"http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/191/Automotive-Modeling-Techniques