Objects appear black?

stevebo

Hi there.

I'm currently reading through a 3Ds Max tutorial book but am confused. Extruding an imported plan makes the objects appear black and not following the object colour/layer colour. Am I missing something here? Below is a screenshot. I know that on the top left where the object colour is, it is black/white (which I'm not sure why since I would've thought it would be the colour of the CAD plan), but changing that to another colour doesn't do anything either.

Help? :o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44516[/ATTACH]

Have you assign a black material? if not try switching from a 1 light setup to a 2 light setup. are your normals flipped? try adding a normal modifier and flipping the normals or add a shell modifier

I haven't done anything in terms of assigning any materials. Just imported plans, selected several layers and applied an extrude modifier. No lights or anything are even added yet.

Upon import, I checked the box to "orient normals of adjacent faces consistently" so normals should be fine. However, I did try adding the normal and shell modifier, but nothing happened. Don't actually know how the shell modifier works though (still a bit beginner-ish)

i am not talking about adding any light(s) i am talking about switching from a one light setup to 2 light setup. if you go into your p.view click left or right click on the label a drop down menu will appear go to the config you will see the 1 and 2 light setup try changing that from the 1 light to the 2 light setup and click ok. if this does not affect your darkness.

then add a shell because sometimes this will make your walls a-bit thicker and the poly will show up sometimes On mine it does when i have that problem.

if this does not work then assign a material and see if that changes the black.

Edited by datacrasher

i am not talking about adding any light(s) i am talking about switching from a one light setup to 2 light setup. if you go into your p.view click left or right click on the label a drop down menu will appear go to the config you will see the 1 and 2 light setup try changing that from the 1 light to the 2 light setup and click ok. if this does not affect your darkness.

then add a shell because sometimes this will make your walls a-bit thicker and the poly will show up sometimes On mine it does when i have that problem.

if this does not work then assign a material and see if that changes the black.

Thanks for the advice but it still isn't working. I changed the light setup and also added shell and neither worked.

Adding a material changes it from black but the material applied isn't shown. The "Show End Result" button is highlighted and greyed out at the same time so I can't do anything about it!

I am using 3Ds Max Design 2012 by the way

Edited by stevebo

did you press the blue and white box (show in viewport)? in the material editor to make the materiel in your scene?

if you reset max and create the walls are they still black? if not then there is something wrong with your scene.

Edited by datacrasher

if you reset max and create the walls are they still black? if not then there is something wrong with your scene.

Still happens if I reset it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/445006/savoye-ground-max.dwg

This is the AutoCAD file that I am importing. I don't imagine there's anything wrong with the file since this came from the tutorial guys.

What I am doing is open a brand new scene:

Unhide All

Select by Name: Layer:Wall-3ds-INT, Layer:Wall-3ds-EXT, and Layer:MULLION-VERT

Add Extrude Modifier

Extrude

Hope you can help me out with this :)

I haven't been using the AEC walls. Following the tutorial, I've been extruding the dwg file. This is only happening when I extrude the CAD drawing. If I drew a line, and extrude it, it's fine. Drawing an AEC wall or any primitive is also fine. Only extruding the CAD drawing does this happen :-(.

I've also check the material settings.

It's fixed now! It seems it was a problem when importing the CAD file itself. Upon import, the import options dialogue box asked "derive AutoCAD Primitives by". I selected "Layer, Blocks as Node Hierarchy, Split by Material" (which says to do so in the book), but I changed it to get rid of "split by material" and that did the trick.

Thanks for the help!

• 5 months later...