SketchUp Plugins and compatibility with 64-bit Windows 7

rallou

I use sketchup 8 pro and some plugins: OpenStudio, SU_2_STL, su2rad_daysim_r03, SKP_2_DXF, gModeler, fIFC2SKUP for my work.

Since I am going to buy a new laptop I am wondering if using windows 7 64-bit (instead of 32-bit), I would have some problems with the installation and running the applications.

Has anybody tried to use these apps with 64-bit Windows 7? I would appreciate if you let me know your experience!

From my understanding 64 bit allows apps to access more memory on your computer should you have it, like 8-16GB of RAM. Sketchup from what I understand is a 32 bit application so Windows will run it in 32 bit mode and it is limited to the amount of memory it can access. I run it on a 64 bit laptop fine. I do sometimes have issues exporting 2D images from it which I suspect is because of the memory issue. I have no idea about the plugins.

I have had no issues. SU will run as a 32 bit program. This goes for all programs unless there is a 64 bit version. Some older programs (pre win xp) have issues with Win 7, but for the most part, I have been able to use all of my old programs and plugins.