Populate:Terrain released! Create and retopologize terrain surfaces

plastic

Here is my latest script.

I'm working on something bigger and this is like a side product of some algorithms I'm researching.

I find it pretty useful personally (as opposed to some of my scripts that I never use myself :) )

populate-terrain.jpg

populate-grid1-440x201.jpg

screenshot.png

This is not a general use retopologizing (is this a word?) tool. The limitation is that it operates in world space only, with the Z axis up. That's why I'm targeting it at terrain modelling. Basically it wraps a grid onto any surface, or spline cage (contour lines), and trims the result, looking from the top.

Since the grid is always aligned to X/Y, it's very easy to select rows of vertices for further modeling.

Anyway, here is the download:

Populate:Terrain

I'm looking forward to feedback and suggestions!

Marc,

First off Sorry for offtop :)

Please update your billboard manager,

I really miss it.

Please!

You mean, Tree Shop?

I think it still works, but 3ds max 2010 started breaking the installing procedure.

I have plans for a scattering tool with similar functionality, but not longer targeted at trees, since everything is 3d trees now, and Forest Lite is a great free tool for that.

oops sorry the Treeshop.. exactly!

I could not make it work in 2010.

Now I'm on 2012 and it does not work there.

I used it mainly for people entourage (not for the trees- you 're absolutely right).

The tree shop was bug free and it's a pity you discontinued it. :(

Edited by 1rv

I'd give this a script of the year award (if one existed) I'm definately a fan.

One suggestion though would be great to put a maximum on the grid size when preview is on, I just accidentally typed in 150150 as a width because I missed the tab key while entering the numbers, it locked up max losing the work since my last save.

Thanks very much for this, been looking for a way to do this easily for a while of imported large (>10km2) ground triangulations from ground modelling software (KeyTerra Firma). Really tidies the mesh up and reduces the number of polygons (some imported are over a million polygons, can now reduce that to about 100,000)

After adding a turbosmooth modifier the ground looks great.

Once again, many thanks.

Just one little niggle, if there are too many subdivs max seems to crash !

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a teaser of what's coming in Populate:Terrain 2.0.

Voxel surface generated from point clouds (Points or Mesh/Spline verts).

This will allow clean surfaces from even the dirtiest imported CAD terrain data.

Since only verts/points are used, it doesn't matter if the contour lines are broken, or if there are issues with the mesh topology.

bxc4qnq1x0xmcj4zg.jpg

bxc4qwlqcbysw3cvw.jpg

• 1 month later...