archicad to autocad

Babes

HI there respected members,i use archicad only for exporting files to autocad,actually while exporting a 3d model from archicad to autocad i noticed that they don't get exported as solids,is there a way to do it and i found that all layers are not getting exported also,

plz help

Thanking You

• 3 weeks later...

It's quite simple: it's not possible. ArchiCAD can only export surfaces into DWG-files.

There is software that is able to convert surfaces into solids. I think you have to check (expensive) MCAD-software, like Inventor, Solidworks, Pro-engineer etc...

Hi

I dont know to much of autocad, so i dont know what its exactly a solid in the last program, but in my office i export a lot of model from archicad, but to 3ds, the thing its, i export the model in dwg format, so 3ds can recognice the layer information, sometimes i export the 3d model to autocad, also in dwg format, and the other person can open in autocad, with all the 3d information and all the layers, to do that, you have to open the 3d view in archicad, and with this window open, save the file in dwg,and the file keep all the 3d information in dwg format, the only thing whit this method, its you can't export 2d information like dimensions, text, hatch, etc.

I don't have ArchiCad, myself, but I know of a number of ArchiCad users who routinely work between ArchiCad, Autocad and even SketchUp witho8ut any difficulty. Of course, since ArchiCad purports to be a complete architectural design solution, in and of itself, I don't know why anyone would want to. ;)

Gary

I don't have ArchiCad, myself, but I know of a number of ArchiCad users who routinely work between ArchiCad, Autocad and even SketchUp witho8ut any difficulty. Of course, since ArchiCad purports to be a complete architectural design solution, in and of itself, I don't know why anyone would want to. ;)

Gary

That would be because the rest of the world still has a strong and unfortunate addiction to 2D design/drafting and specifically AutoCAD. When we work with ArchiCAD we often do have to export drawings to AutoCAD because the Engineers or other architects only use AutoCAD. The export procedure itself is pretty seamless as ArchiCAD has extremely good export/import capabilities.

As for Sketchup, what most commonly happens is that design and concept sketches started in Sketchup can be exported into ArchiCAD which then converts all the necessary elements into the required 2D drafting and documenting symbols. The export plugin wasn't exactly perfect, but I believe they improved it with the new Sketchup version 4.

And yes ArchiCAD is a complete architectural design solution. One of it's greatest strengths is this ability to seamlessly and effortlessly share data and files with an extensive range of other AEC and DTP applications and in their native formats.

As for the original quesiton, two ways to do what you ask, as already alluded to, is from ArchiCAD 3D window and save whatever object you want to export either as a .dxf file or as a .3ds file. AutoCAD reads both formats although, you may want to go with the .dxf option since that is a native AutoCAD format. In all other situations and software I would recommend exporting the 3ds option as that is the most widely used format for 3D virtual info.