very large grass field??

erkutacar

what is the best way of creading a large grass land? lets say the size of a soccer field? what i do is model a 50cm X 50cm grass piece and then scatter it.. its fine as long as i keep the display percentage low.. but when it comes to rendering comp runs

out of memory and crashes and i have to hit the reset button :)

ive attached the 2 images, close up of the grass and the area i need to fill..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44875[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44874[/ATTACH]

so im waiting for some expert opinions :)

i use iray and hardware is: i7 2600k @4.5ghz, 16gb ram, quadro 5000

Edited by erkutacar

You need to either convert the modeled grass into proxies and then use a scattering program to randomley scatter the objects over an area or try using displacement.

thats what i did.. i tried it in an empty scene as well but the problem isnt display.. when it comes to rendering it cannat load the file in to the ram coz there are way too many polygons..

Erkut

it does not matter how much ram you have as you add more to your scene and it gets bigger the more objects/models/texture/lighting etc your computer will run out of ram. you need to stop adding so much stuff into your scene and GBTB (go back to basics)

From what i can tell you deffo have too many lights in your scene.

Tony

yes ive got about 60 lights..but even if i turn them off it still runs out of memory coz one cluster of this grass has 5000 ploys.. and imagine scattering it across such a large area.. i need to scatter it like 220 times by 140 times or something close.. its gonna be huge.. i need a simple way of making a large field of grass.. a proper way of displacing.. hair & fur wont work either.. it also makes the system run out of ram..

why do you have 60 lights? you don't need that many: if you use the daylight system then you only need to use that. I would also set your trees to under viewport canopy to never this will save some memory.

why does it have to be that big and that many times it does not make any sense. Are you doing this for a client (customer) or for your own satisfaction?

Edited by datacrasher

my own satisfaction.. i've got that many lights coz most of the materials are black.. i can turn them off for daytime shots but i still need them for night shots.. i want to cower the whole field with grass coz im going to take many shots from many angles and i just dont want to bother with grassing the areas that will only be visible in the camera (which is i know the correct way) :D but there must be a trick to solve such an issue.. what if i wanted to make a nestle ad where a cow is interacting in a large field right? :D (of course they would be rendering in render farms) :D

No you don't need that many lights if you go to the systems and daylight and create that in the top view go to the rendering menu and choose environment and effect then under exposure control choose the external daylight with a tick. You can change the months, days and years and then time! DS also can be animated and turn night into day and day into light!!

The material should not be black only when you add the lighting once you texture your scene they will already be done! If you delete all 60 lights then use the daylight system you won't need any lights in your system because the daylight system is the light. Then you will have a lot more memory to work with.

The trick is not to add so many lights and stuff you really do not need!

u misunderstood, there is already a daylight system and and i use photographic exposure set manually.. but i use the lights for night shots.. i turned them on only to show u.. when i said everything is almost black i meant the dark concrete, black ceramic tiles and the dark marble flooring, black leather sofas, black tinted coffee table glass and fireplace glass.. and semi glossy black furniture.. here are some renders showing what i meant (glass layer is turned off for the outside angle)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44910[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]44911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]44912[/ATTACH]

you don't need to use the lights because you are using the daylight system if you go to the motion panel then you can change the hours of the DS this will turn it too night.

of course it's gonna be dark because your using a dark texture if you change the texture to a different colour (color) then it will look a lot different

that makes no sense :D i know daylight system is a physical simulation.. so u dont turn on the lights at home and just let the moon light to illuminate your corridoors and rooms? :D imagine this.. if u shoot an interior with shutter speed 50 and f 2.8 iso 200 in a room taking nice sun light it will be well illuminated but the windows will be completely white.. to balance that i need to shoot in higher speeds and more internal light.. so that u can see what is outside the windows too..

the backrooms in my model have no windows.. only kitchen and bar take little of the daylight system.. thats why i have so many lights..

oh and i know lighter textures will give more illuminations but i want to use those materials! therefore i had to increase the power of the lights too.. so now ive got too many photons bouncing around.. which of course renders quite slowly.. that first render showing the flag took 2hours with iray and quadro 5000 and OC'd i7 2600k working at 4.5ghz.. :) if i had only daylight it would probably take about 15-20 mins..

i give up your not learning Of course it does not make sense to you for the past 5 years i have been using max and worked for the biggest game company out-there. You want everything your own way. yes it's your scene but with the amount of stuff in your scene your computer cannot handle it

Bye

Tony

yes i know, and i need one with a good displacement map.. ive downloaded one from jeff patton and it looks great in the preview but once u load the material there is no displacement map.. some gradient maps for the fall offs.. here is the preview image

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44913[/ATTACH]