3ds Max 2012 viewport errors

NeWAcEiN

When in interior scene if one uses camera with camera corrections applied the viewport will get distorted (when switched to perspective))so it is difficult to set another camera afterwards!!!!!!!!!! pls try and post possible results for resetting the viewport

many thanks!!!

Edited by NeWAcEiN

can you attach an image? because once you create a camera with one of the two methods you should alway get a clear camera once you create it.

why are you switching back and forth? If you use one of the other viewport for the perspective by using the viewport labels and change let the left then click on the viewport lable and then go to views from there the left will change the left to the perspective view

Tony

I have this happen as well. Max 2010, 2011, 2012... probably 2009 as well. I don't really remember that far back. When I switch to perspective view from a camera view that had a camera correction modifier applied, the perspective view retains the distortions from the camera correction modifier. I usually "clear" it by switching to an orthagonal view (front, top, left, etc.), then back to perspective. I haven't tried the home button on the viewcube, but then again, I've never included the viewcube into my workflow.

• 4 weeks later...

http://screencast.com/t/5vINuXion

This issue has been around since v1, largely because it's a tricky design issue. You can go to ortho and back to perspective, as someone suggested, and it removes the correction, but there is already an expected pop in fov when toggling between these options. If we choose to go from camera corrected to perspective wo/ out the correction there would be a pop and some might thing this is also a defect since it only occasionally would occur, would this be an acceptable behavior vs the current one?

http://screencast.com/t/5vINuXion

This issue has been around since v1, largely because it's a tricky design issue. You can go to ortho and back to perspective, as someone suggested, and it removes the correction, but there is already an expected pop in fov when toggling between these options. If we choose to go from camera corrected to perspective wo/ out the correction there would be a pop and some might thing this is also a defect since it only occasionally would occur, would this be an acceptable behavior vs the current one?

My workflow is somewhat analogous to composing an architectural photo in real life. I set up the camera, apply the camera correction modifier to it, and tweak the composition. Often I'll see something through the Camera view that needs a tweak so I'll want to switch to Perspective and then "walk" up to the thing I need to adjust, make my adjustment, then pop back to the Camera view to see how it looks. Having the camera correction applied to the Perspective view requires switching over to one of the orthographic views first (Front, Left, Top, etc.), then to Perspective, which means I can no longer virtually "walk" from behind the camera to the object that needs adjusting because now the Perspective view is now far from the camera. It's not a huge deal as I can certainly navigate around the scene just fine from there, it would just be easier if I didn't need to take the extra steps of switching to Front (or whatever) view, then Perspective, then figuring out where I am in the scene so I can go find the thing I need to adjust.

One sort-of workaround is to turn the camera correction modifier off on the camera object before I switch to Perspective view, but then when I want to look through the camera again, I have to select the camera from the scene and manually turn the camera correction back on. Again, this isn't a critical work-stopping issue, it's just extra steps I go through a lot which seem to slow down my workflow a little. For me, any FOV "pop" when switching from a corrected Camera view to a Perspective view would be acceptable.

Thanks for your feedback on this, Shane!

• 7 months later...