Intel Quad Core or AMD 6-Core?

Hi all, the question is in the title really.

I'm looking at the following processors:

Intel Core i7 2600k Quad Core @ 3.4GHz

AMD Phenom II X6 6-Core @ 3.3GHz

I know the i7s are awesome but I'm wondering if the 2 extra cores in the AMD are better for rendering?

Note they're going to be overclocked to 4.5GHz (Water-cooled).

Thanks for reading.

Hi,

I personaly am after the AMD Phenom II X6. Mostly because of the price. Rendering with 6 cores with overclock to 4GHz is for me a big improvement comparing it with my i5 450m 2 cores at 2,4GHz which was enough to me not so long ago but now it is getting just sad :)

Anyway, maybe the i7 is a bit faster than the Phenom X6 but is it worth for the double price for the processor? And probably I would wait for the 8 core AMD Bulldozer overclocable to 4,5GHz :)

• 1 month later...

You can use AnandTech's bench comparison between many different CPUs. You can even choose what software will be used for the comparison. I would personally choose the i7 2600k since in this case is the clear winner.

If you are getting the CPU for anything else but heavy workloads choose either. Phenom II X6 6-Core is a perfectly good CPU for gaming as well. For video editing and 3D- i7 2600k.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ended up with the following Spec. It's more than enough for my needs and seems at least 3 times quicker than my last machine:

Intel i7 2600k (OC @ 4.7GHz)

AMD Radeon HD6950 (Boosted to 6990 speed)

MB - Gigabyte Z68X-UD5

Corsair H70 Advanced Water cooling.

16Gb Heatsync DDR3 Ram

1TB SATA 3 HDD (SSD is too pricey still for me!)

It's great. It looks and sounds like a spaceship and for the 3D I produce is fast enough. Thanks all for your kind advice.

• 3 weeks later...
Cool. So I'll get the i7 then... should do for my rendering needs!

I'm still using a Core2 Quad at 2.4Ghz (not overclocked). I'm thinking an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz will be roughly three times as fast? Or not that much?

i use that with a custom water cooling system and works very stable and fast.. i recommend gigabyte ud7 p67 board with that processor