Urgent VR/QTVR advice needed

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Hey guys,

I have a client that wants to be able to walk around their environment in Real-Time from CG based renderings. We use a VR technology in-house that we can do this with, but it's strictly PC based and the client unfourtunately is only on the MAC platform. They are telling me that in the past they had a company create an IPIX where they were able to walk around the environment and I'm told that this was possible with the now defunct IMOVE software. So the question is does anyone know of a PC/MAC based solution to be able to be able to walk though the environment from a 3D CG model? I've done linked QTVRs in the past, but I think this has to be more immersive.

Jeff

There is an authoring version of ipix, I think available via their website. I recall that there were some in this community that spat at the very mention of 'ipix', though I don't remember why.

Remember the terrific pano output of Lightscape? Is that a possibility? The resulting image can be viewed with several pano players, including the free panotools one, and could probably be authored into QT-VR using the pro version of QT (which I don't have so can't test). STRAT had done pano output from C4D, also.

Are you looking for a real environment viewer, or just an image viewer?

• Administrators

The client sent me what they were talking about and it really was just linked QTVRs with hotspots. Nothing more. The closest thing IPIX can do is motion video in a 360 format from what I can see. Not sure if that could be applied to CG. Would not really matter as typically you don't have moving object in an architectual scene. One of the guys at Smoothe said that IMOVE could render out a 360 per frame so you could have animated 360s but they were bought by IPIX and the product is now dead.

Muzzy: Ahh very cool. I did not know Christian had this on his site. THis might very well be somethig I can use. Will have to look into MAC compatibility tho. It migth be Java based so we could be ok.

Ernest: Yeah I've also heard very bad thing about IPIX too. If I recall if was becuase of their per user/per image licensing scheme. We used to render pano from LS all the time when I worked at SMED, but I'd likely be using Vray, so I'd need a solution to render spherical maps from MAX. Chritsian obviously has one option.

Does anyone know of any other tools to render out cubic or spherical maps from MAX?

Does anyone know of any other tools to render out cubic or spherical maps from MAX?

Both Viz and Max contain built-in cubic panorama export tools. Apparently in Max6 (I'm on Viz2005 here) it's located in: Rendering>Panorama Exporter or Utilities>More>Panorama Exporter. I've tried it out in Viz using Brazil, but not VRay yet. The cubicVR plugin that CT mentioned is great - better compression capabilities if rendering to QuickTime.

Dear Jeff,

I have worked with TotallyHip's live stage and VRWox.

the LSP seems to have more depth. from HotSpots to Linking to Objects to maps it is all there. Whereas VRToolbox's power is its simplity and durability and hey they have MAC version too.

I personally like vrworx more for its dot-blank interface.

the urls:

Livestage pro: http://www.totallyhip.com

VRWorx: http://www.vrtoolbaox.com