afraid of RAM

I installed Kingston khx4000/512r (two sticks) into my pentium 4 3.0. According to my friendly computer guy this was the correct Ram, the orig. ram was p4 400mhz DDR. So i installed it and i got two crashes and then my kernal/registry got currupted and i was not able to resolve it because of a really fun lsass error which requires a non-existant password. Anyrate my brother, who's a tech support guy went to all these microsoft websites and found that's no resolution. Sooooo... i had to reinstall windows and all my software and lost everything on my desktop (40 hours of work.)

So now I'm afraid to add more ram to my pc, and I need it because I like having more then 1 gig of images open. Is it a problem of the wrong ram? Too much ram (2 gigs on a 3.0 p4)??

I just reinstalled all my programs and i still want more RAM. Any advice on how to play it safe??

-joe

the 400mhz DDR should be ok. you didn't mentioned th kingston ram frequenct/speed. if have a feeling that if the orig ram was working fine and you got crashes after new ram, you may have:

a. incompatible/faulty ram stciks (try replacing)

b. the best would be if your mobo takes ECC ram, go for an ECC version of ram sticks.

most probably it is nothing to with the software.

Your local computer shop should have a RAM tester. Make sure they run a FULL test not the quick test. Back in my life as a tech we had one for SDRAM(hadn't gotten into DDR by the time I moved on) the quick test was pretty good but the long test would ensure that the ram was good.

If your ram comes back good I would double check everything in your system. In the process of replacing the ram you could have simply not had the ram plugged in perfectly, a piece of dust could of fell into the slot, a HD cable come just slightly undone, a cable got crimped or damaged, and etc.

graphix