Irradiance Map Slow

JustinTuaylou

Hi,

I started using vray recently mainly because of the speed I've been hearing about, but for me it has been incredibly slow in every case. I think I know why but I can't find a solution. I've been using Irradiance Map for Primary bounces and Light cache for secondary, and my renderings always seem to get hung up on "Calculating Prepass 3 of 3" or "4 of 4". I think this is IR calculation, even when I use the low or very low preset and 20 subdivs. I use Adaptive Subdivision for tests, and DMC for for production although this doesn't seem to matter much for this prepass phase.

Even small scenes can take hours on this phase alone, and I can only think that I am missing something? Hopefully this is enough information, let me know if not.

Thanks,

Justin

I think that my problem may lie within my materials, specifically reflections. I tend to add some reflectivity to most things (maybe too much) and I know that reflections can have a big effect on GI, but I just don't really understand how vray views each setting (reflection bitmaps, glossiness, interpolation, etc.) Does anyone have any advice for me in this area?