Render Farm to hire / Outsource to render farm

Hello! This is my first post here.. I've been trying to find some information regarding render farms, but have not really found exactly what I'm looking for. My company wants to open an animation studio in India, and we are looking into the option of having a dedicated renderfarm in our office, but I'm not exactly sure where to look or what we need exactly. And we are also looking at few solutions and one of them is to simply outsource it to firms that just do that: renting render farms. Can I get some idea about the process from people that use this kind of service?

Is this reliable/fast?

How is the experience with this service in your work flow?

Also, any recommendations for render farms you've worked before?

thanks in advance,

Joanna

Hi,

If you want to open an animation studio in India in my opinion you should have at least a small farm in house (india & Colombia), Transfering huge amount of data over the internet is very difficult and slow down your workflow....you need to do a lot tests(animation, camera, lighting, materials,etc)....Animation studios use render fam services because you do need a lot power for the final animation but usually they do have in house farm.

Take in mind that you can have dedicaded notes as well as the workstations. (They become part of the farm during lunch time,, breaks after hours, night time).

Today, you could have regular nodes(CPU) nodes and some GPU nodes for quick feedback and test renderings.

Fernando

Thanks a lot for your reply, we do want to open an animation studio in India and want to contact professional companies.. we're not looking to have a DIY render farm, but I need to understand the structure, and roughly what I would need, for example, I've read about blades.. what are those? How many nodes do we need? How many processors will be included? How much productivity will that give me.. etc... I'm very much a noob when it comes to render farms..

btw, I'm wondering whether I should contact a render farm first. Because one of our client in India suggest us a render farm which is based in China and named Fox Renderfarm. He also told me that Fox is the only one of the commercial renderfarms authorized by Chaos Group to provide renderfarm services on demand with legal V-Ray licenses in Asian area, that makes me surprised.

I'd like to understand the structure and how it works so that I don't get punk'd by these companies. Help!!

Joanna

Hi Joanna,

I work for a commercial renderfarm in the UK called Render-IT. Unlike other renderfarms such as fox, we have skilled operators on hand to personally set up and troubleshoot each project. Many of our clients have come to us after frustrating experiences with renderfarms that expect the client to set up the scene using p2p software and with little to no quality control.

With renderfarms using FTPs to upload and download the scenes and frames a close location isn't really essential (uploading a file to somewhere 500 miles away might well take as long as uploading to somewhere 5000 miles away) in fact using a farm in a different time zone may have advantages such as allowing you the ability to start uploading the scene at the end of the day and the renderfarm can be setting the scene up and starting the rendering outside of your office hours.

If you would like to know more about the structure of our renderfarm or renderfarms in general and how much time they can save etc. please email me on gre@render-it.co.uk and ill be more than happy discuss the finer points of commercial rendering with you.

Regards

Gaz

gre@render-it.co.uk

http://www.render-it.co.uk

Hi Joanna,

I just completed a project that I needed an outsource render farm. Based on a few recomendations I went with RenderNation.

They were outstanding! Very professional, knowledgable and responsive. It was my first time outsourcing and I was a little leary but I could not have asked for better service.

Good Luck!

Hi Joanna,

I work for a commercial renderfarm in the UK called Render-IT. Unlike other renderfarms such as fox, we have skilled operators on hand to personally set up and troubleshoot each project. Many of our clients have come to us after frustrating experiences with renderfarms that expect the client to set up the scene using p2p software and with little to no quality control.

With renderfarms using FTPs to upload and download the scenes and frames a close location isn't really essential (uploading a file to somewhere 500 miles away might well take as long as uploading to somewhere 5000 miles away) in fact using a farm in a different time zone may have advantages such as allowing you the ability to start uploading the scene at the end of the day and the renderfarm can be setting the scene up and starting the rendering outside of your office hours.

If you would like to know more about the structure of our renderfarm or renderfarms in general and how much time they can save etc. please email me on gre@render-it.co.uk and ill be more than happy discuss the finer points of commercial rendering with you.

Regards

Gaz

gre@render-it.co.uk

http://www.render-it.co.uk

Thank you so much!! I'm really grateful for all this info you've provided me with.

My company is doing some tests on different renderfarms now and I will also ask them to put render-it in.

Thanks again!!

Hi Joanna,

I just completed a project that I needed an outsource render farm. Based on a few recomendations I went with RenderNation.

They were outstanding! Very professional, knowledgable and responsive. It was my first time outsourcing and I was a little leary but I could not have asked for better service.

Good Luck!

Hi Joanna,

Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply!!

I just have made the inquiries with them, they seem to be very friendly and knowledgeable. But it's too expensive for my company's project.

Our studio in India is going to hire a renderfarm which is small but reliable and running with reasonable price we can take.

Anyway, happy to be here met you nice guys!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Joanna,. and all,.

When you are planning to start a new company in india, mainly in animation side, why waste money in setting up an infra all from scratch, equipment, resources, renderfarms etc, when you can have an association with existing companies..

Try to associate with vegahstudios.. a budding company with people carrying 10+ years of experience in the area of Digital Animation Space.

Cost factors raise when you bring the right team with the right management..and thats where we see vegah standing in the market..

• 4 months later...
Hi Joanna,

how about the situation of ur studio now,hope ur everything is done.Good luck!

hi sophia,

sorry for the late response.

I would like to let you know that our company has chosen Fox Renderfarm for that project because they provided us a pretty considerable price.

Thank you for concerning on this issue.

Nice day!

Joanna