Renderings too grainy

onyx

1319489969.jpg

Studio/Institution: HPS
Client: some guy
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3ds max and Vray
Description:

My First real attempt at using vray sun. Ive tried to use it before but i always get strange artifacts in my renderings, so i usually just resort to interior (nighttime) lighting. For this piece i actually like the result but im there are things i wish to improve.

The Shadows the sun creates are kind of grainy, and it seems to create a grainy affect in the whole space i usually don't get when i use IES interior lights. The Sun light also seems to wash the whole space with a warm color. Its kind of nice but i would like some objects to retain a little more of their original color. If i could just get rid of this grainy/splotchy look i would be pretty happy. I should also mention that im using a environment map for lighting too.

If someone could looks at my settings to offer suggestions on how to fix these issues i would really appreciate it.

Test render and Vray Sun settings:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45444[/ATTACH]

For these render settings it was just a test render, but for a final render i would usually just increase the render size to 3168*2376, irradiance map to :very high light cache to 3000 and the render region division to 16.. If there are better settings for a final render please inform me :)

Environment map settings:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45445[/ATTACH]

Raw render:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45447[/ATTACH]

After Photoshop:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45446[/ATTACH]

Generally im happy with what it can look like after photoshop but, as i said if i could get rid of those imperfections i mentioned earlier and just find the best render settings possible i be very grateful. Thanks for any and all feedback!:)

Your V-Ray::Adaptive DMC image sampler is set to "Use DMC sampler threshold"

On the V-Ray::DMC Sampler, the "Noise threshold" is set to 0.01, set it to 0.005

Normaly, Max Exposure Control is not used with Vray if you use the Vray Physical

Camera; however, whatever works for you...

I don't see the Sun described, are you just lighting with the environment? VraySun Parameters?

Your V-Ray::Adaptive DMC image sampler is set to "Use DMC sampler threshold"

On the V-Ray::DMC Sampler, the "Noise threshold" is set to 0.01, set it to 0.005

Normaly, Max Exposure Control is not used with Vray if you use the Vray Physical

Camera; however, whatever works for you...

I don't see the Sun described, are you just lighting with the environment? VraySun Parameters?

Thanks! The vray sun settings are on the far right of the vray settings. Im just using the suns lighting and my own image for the environment BG

I think that you should increase shadow subdivision of the VRay sun, this should reduce the grainy border between the shadow and direct light. Normally it is 3 i think. For environmental light is better VRay dome light for using with VRay sun. And also a classical VRay light for sky-portals should get rid of the splotchy walls.