Seeking a capable mid-range 3D laptop and I am running around in circles...

Hi,

I'm seeking a laptop to get me through some small scale architectural design jobs over the next few months, primary uses will be:

AutoCAD

Photoshop

Rhino

3ds Max (mid range 3D rendering in vray)

Standard office/accessories etc

I'm on a budget and have a temporary office so this is a stopgap until I move and can have a serious home desktop. I have roughly 800.00 GBP, I know I can't get anything great for that price so I just need something relatively good.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated, it seemed in that price range that Samsung offered decent spec in their RC and RF range, but then I see a lot of more serious people using Asus/MSI etc.

Thanks for your time!

just my 2 cents, I have spent thousands on notebooks, last one $2300, have the latest core 2 quad extreme cpu, 8GB ram, 18.3" lcd, but you can't work on them, they overheat. they suck. they switch off by tyhemselves when you click the render button and the cpu heats up. notebooks suck @$$ they are useless. no matter how much they cost they ar eonly good for e-mails and chatting.

Sorry to hear you've had such bad experience! My Toshiba Satellite did me well for the last 3+ years of studying & practice work, maybe I was just lucky. Unfortunately it's the only option available to me so I'll carry on looking, and be optimistic. Cheers again.

I don't know about what these cost in the UK, but you can see my recommendations on the link in my signature. The one I recommend for desktop replacement (and keep in mind that notebooks are nowhere near perfect for laptop replacement for 3D) has a quad core i7, 16 gb and a 3 gb GeForce 560. It's big, which it has to be to have any chance of keeping those components cool, but it's marketed to gamers which means it should be able to handle some workload.

Guest 2PMVisuals

Hi,

Just my view, but I've run Dell laptops for a few years now, and they've always been good to me for fairly small scale modelling / rendering jobs, and that seems to be what you are talking about. For around £800 you should easily be able to get a 17inch screen XPS which should do the job. Worth a look

I may be way off the mark here with this comment.

But ( and i know your not suposed to starta sentence with But), I will not be buying a mid to high end laptop again.

I can work remotely from home with gotomypc now and it does everything I need.

A long at the Broadband is working , I would rather have a high end machine in work to work off.

Is this anybody elses thinking, with wifi everywere now to me if sort of makes sence?

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought- why don't you get a refurbished by the manufacturer laptop? I did that with a Dell XPS 17 L702X, it costed me 1000.00 GBP white a next-day-repair 1 year warranty? The CPU is a beast and although the graphics card cannot come close to a desktop one it is an amazing machine.