VRay for Sketchup Light Problem - No Lights

Paarth

I have scoured the internet for any help on this, but I seem to be the only one having this problem!

No lights show up in my scene. I have added every type of light, omni, spot, rectangular, vray sphere, etc and none of them actually produce any light.

I thought it might have been my particular scene settings but I downloaded the VRay for SU Manual Scenes from http://vray.com/vray_for_sketchup/manual/index.shtml and even after following the manual literally step by (painful) step, no lights rendered.

What am I doing wrong?

Are there some settings I'm not aware of?

I've attached a scene with numerous rectangular lights, as you can see the only light source is the Global Illumination.

Also, what the heck is going on with that water...?

I need to submit a very important assignment in the next few days so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Paarth

• 3 months later...

In Global Switches. Have checked: Lights, and Shadows. Your environment lighting is working per your image. Don't place an IES light because you need to correlate that light from a file. Omni lights barely show up. Use a rectangular light... make sure the right side is showing... you can tell by rending hidden lights.

Have you tried a simple scene... like an extruded rectangle with lights? Or is it just for the image you posted. Also depending on the size of your model (like say it's freakin' huge) the lights may not be as powerful. My best advice is to create a simple lighting scene with a rectangular light because you'll see the light in the scene either facing away or towards you (have the light and shape be in the same shot).

• 3 months later...
In Global Switches. Have checked: Lights, and Shadows. Your environment lighting is working per your image. Don't place an IES light because you need to correlate that light from a file. Omni lights barely show up. Use a rectangular light... make sure the right side is showing... you can tell by rending hidden lights.

Have you tried a simple scene... like an extruded rectangle with lights? Or is it just for the image you posted. Also depending on the size of your model (like say it's freakin' huge) the lights may not be as powerful. My best advice is to create a simple lighting scene with a rectangular light because you'll see the light in the scene either facing away or towards you (have the light and shape be in the same shot).

Sorry for the necro-reviving - somebody dig it out this year so it's not my fault 100%...

VRay for Sketchup for default uses physical camera settings with exposure control linked to the default SU light, the sun.

The default TexSky GI Vray uses is very powerful, and the physical camera settings are also very fast in order for the camera to "compensate" for the strong sunlight.

VRay component lights, (omni/IES/spotlight - you name it) have to be pumped up in intensity a great deal to be visible - to crazy levels in order to actually compete and balance out direct sunlight in an interior shot. We are talking intensity values that will be in the magnitude of 50,000 to 500,000. Default is at 1.0. You start raising it to 2 and 10 and 50 and you see nothing...well, pump it up a lot!

I usually start @ 250-500,000 with IES lights and work to produce the desired effect.

If you are using emissive VRay materials, pump up the intensity to 700-1000 for day shots, and 250-500 for lower sun values (dusk or sunset shots etc).

The sun (GI) intensity in the environment rollout is by default @ 1.0 - I would start playing with 0.8 for day shots and 0.3-0.4 for late evening / early morning.

If you are not using the Sun at all (interior shots or GI through HDRI), just disable the exposure control in the Physical Camera settings.

• 2 months later...

hi,

i've just started using sketchup a week ago and now I ran into a similar problem. in my case it seems I played with the time zone (see the shadows dialogue) so my rendering turned into a night scene... and apparently there is no moon lighting :)

so open Window > Shadows and play around with the sliders. There might be a bug there, because I had changed the timezone to UTC (instead of UTC-10) and even if it showed me "noon" it was pitch black. just use the spinner to increase the time one hour at a time, or enter it manually, and hopefully your scene will light up!

PS: even though the OP must have solved his problem by now, it might help others looking for a solution for the same problem

hi,

i've just started using sketchup a week ago and now I ran into a similar problem. in my case it seems I played with the time zone (see the shadows dialogue) so my rendering turned into a night scene... and apparently there is no moon lighting :)

so open Window > Shadows and play around with the sliders. There might be a bug there, because I had changed the timezone to UTC (instead of UTC-10) and even if it showed me "noon" it was pitch black. just use the spinner to increase the time one hour at a time, or enter it manually, and hopefully your scene will light up!

PS: even though the OP must have solved his problem by now, it might help others looking for a solution for the same problem

i think you should enable default light and lights in vray option and also make sure your GI is set to skylight