Nuker Versus After Effects??

Arqui9

Hi to Everyone,

I have been wanting to get into 3D video more and more, and at this moment am really undecided what should be my best move. To learn Nuke or AfterEffects.

I have been looking in to tutorials on both and the from what I can tell it goes a little like this:

After Effects - Layered based system, more adequate to motion graphics

Nuke - Node based system (which seems a million times simpler and more organised), great tool for compositing lots of pieces together.

What you guys recommend?

Both. I think AfterEffects was pretty easy to pick up, and has become my left hand (where PS is my right hand). However Im working on learning Nuke as well. And in the mean time of learning it I can depend on AfterEffects to take care of any Animation Post work/Visual Effects until Im confortable in Nuke.

I use After Effect, and the company where I used to work they use Nuke, basically you can do almost everything in After Effects, the big difference besides the node base system, is the simulators that Nuke has, also the 3D integration, Nuke does have a 3d engine, After effects it is 2.5.

Working in HD footage also is more fluent in Nuke, but at the end I guess it depend what type of work you are doing, if you are in Arch Viz, After Effect will work just fine.

If you pretend to be a compositor for CGI Films or big production companies, Nuke is the way to go, I also recommend to look in to Fusion, same capabilities than Nuke, more user friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use 3dsmax or maya, check toxik/composite which comes with it. We use it in production and it does a really great job. We have nuke users here and finally, for arch viz, toxik is simpler, workflow is then faster, it integrate very well with vray and linear exr workflow, and you get 3dsmax for free with it ;-).

Like Nuke, it is pure node based, and runs on last tech, very fast caching, gpu, sustain speed with heavy multichannels exr, etc. Light-years ahead aftereffect for any compositing work, specially when you work in a team as anyone can open your comp, see/understand your node graph in a few seconds, and continue/fine tune working on it.

We still use aftereffect for motion design, it is unbeatable there, which is its specialty and on other hand what make it cumbersome for compositing.