Need Help Mapping a Sphere...

Michael J. Brown

Well, actually it's a bit more than just mapping a sphere. I need to create maps (of different non-repeating patterns) that wrap completely around spheres with (virtually) no visible seams.

How can this be done? Is it some combination of using the UVW Unmap modfier and something else to render out a flattened 'skin'?

Furthermore, once the flattened map is painted (in Photoshop) and re-applied in Max, do I use spherical mapping on it?

Thanks.

Thanks guys, but I still haven't found a solution that will work for me.

Here's what I am trying to do. I need a way to map a piece of non-repeating artwork onto a sphere without any visible seams. I haven't yet drawn the artwork because I don't know if it will be abnormally stretched / pinched by wraping a plain rectangularly proportioned map onto the sphere.

It seems that there should be a way to "un wrap" a shpere and then render that unwrapped map pattern out so that I can then draw my artwork on it in Photoshop.

How you draw your seams for the UVW nwrap will depend on your artwork. Make sure to use a geodesic sphere. This isnt too bad a task actually, sounds worse than it is. Apply the UVW Unwrap then select the edges you would like to be seams. Make sure different sections are completely closed by seams. Then select each of the pieces and flatten in the UV editor. take a screen gra of your UV editor winow and draw your art over the flattened geometry.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the way I see it, you'll need to bake this map for yourself: Do the UVW Unwrap, than save the grid you get and use it as a background scheme to produce your own. seamless texture over it, in Photoshop or some similar app (using offset, heal, clone tools...). You can find some online tutorials that thoroughly explain this procedure.