3DS viewport object display error

SamAttack

Cannot change the colour of object in view port. It appears black with only the edges of the object taking on the chosen colour (pink) I haven't applied a material map to it and i don't wish to at this stage.

Things I have tried:

Using edit normals under editable mesh and flipping them and unify.

Applying a different colour.

Checking backface cull box in object properties.

Weld vertices modifier.

The annoying thing is that I have some objects in the scene displaying as expected and others like the one in the image displaying black and have continued modelling regardless.

Please could someone help me fix this as I have trawled the internet and books to find a solution.

max will always assign a default color (colour) whether you want it too or not when you first create an object. when you restart max does the same-thing happen? if you're using a black on black i would change the background in environment to a background Color (colour) you want: to do this go too rendering environment background colour (color) and then click a color (colour)

i don;'t know why you;re max interface is black maybe that's the way they have the new ones you can change if you want too

if i would go into you're custom preferences then click on viewport under display drivers check if they are the correct ones

Edited by datacrasher

I think I am confusing the problem. The 3ds Max interface is fine and as standard with 3ds max 2012. The background colour is fine and standard. The only problem is that some of the objects in my scene wont display any other colour than black. only the objects edges adopt the assigned default colour or a specified colour from the "object color" palette.

I managed to fix the image i attached earlier by exporting the object to SU and then exporting it as a .3ds and importing back into the max scene. surely there is a way of fixing this within 3ds max as exporting and importing will be very time consuming and likely to produce some errors down the line.

I have attached a screen shot of the scene to demonstrate that some scene objects appear coloured and can have there colour changed while on others only the edges appear coloured whilst the surfaces appear black.

Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47067[/ATTACH]

when design a scene in another program i would not assign a Material because some-times max does not like that once you import it into max then you can assign better textures to make it more realistic. so what i would do is delete the currant texture in you're imported file then export it from that file then bring it into max then when you're file is import into max then assign the colours (color) materials bitmaps you want

I agree with you, I will eventually, when the time comes, add textures in 3ds max and use the bitmaps I want. I am just getting annoyed with the way I cant make an object display any other colour than black. I have tried using a shell modifier as well as normal modifier but neither make a difference despite solving the problem for others. Its definitely not a display driver problem because other objects (Some more complex) are displaying default or specified colours and the file does the same on other computers. I can't seem to come up with a solution. I think it must be to do with the object itself being inverted in some way despite the normals all pointing in the right direction (perpendicular to the surfaces)

Any other things I could try?

cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?66334-3DS-viewport-object-display-error

i have added a link for the file on cadtutor. Its in 2012.max format. Thanks.

Warning: the linked file was made in a student version of 3dsmax 2012.

Edited by SamAttack