Create realistic water surface with ripples like in the attached render?

nickdk

Hello everyone,

I'm a making a secluded garden with a small pond and I would like to learn how to create realistic water with the beautiful ripples like in the attached fantastic render :)

Does anyone know how it can be done or maybe know a tutorial on the subject?

Thank in advance!! :)[ATTACH=CONFIG]47162[/ATTACH]

okay this is what i do create a plane in the top view name it water. Add a blueish material then take the opacity down to about 15% add a reflection map take that down to about the same 15% now add a noise in the bump map play with the settings until you get the effect you're looking for.

here is my pool water!

Edited by datacrasher

okay this is what i do create a plane in the top view name it water. Add a blueish material then take the opacity down to about 15% add a reflection map take that down to about the same 15% now add a noise in the bump map play with the settings until you get the effect you're looking for.

here is my pool water!

Thank you Tony,

I need to produce a super quality as in my example with ripples exactly where i need them.

update try this

Go to the Modify panel, click Modifier List, and, from the Object-Space Modifiers list, choose Ripple.

1. This applies the modifier to the Plane object.
  2. On the Parameters rollout, set Amplitude 1 to 10.0.
    A large ripple forms in the Plane object.
    You can change the horizontal scale by adjusting the wave length.
  3. Set Wave Length to 20.0. The waves become smaller, but now it's apparent that the Plane object needs greater geometric resolution to properly display the number of waves.
  4. In the modifier stack, click the Plane item, and then set Length Segs and Width Segs both to 30.
    The smaller waves become more apparent. The Ripple modifier needs a relatively high number of subdivisions in the geometry it's applied to in order to work properly.
    You can use the Amplitude 2 parameter to add complexity to the wave forms created by Ripple.
  5. Return to the Ripple level of the modifier stack, and then click and hold on the Amplitude 2 and drag downward.
    As you drag, a new set of wave forms are combined with the existing ones. The farther you drag, the more dominant the second set becomes. Using a negative value for Amplitude 2 (or a positive one if Amplitude 1 is negative) produces more of an interference effect between the two sets of waves.
    You can animate the waves with the Phase control.
  6. Drag slowly upward or downward on the Phase spinner.
    Increasing the Phase value moves the waves inward, and decreasing it moves the outward. To animate the waves, create for the Phase value.
    To simulate an object dropping in liquid, use the Decay setting.
  7. Drag slowly upward on the Decay spinner.
    The farther you drag, the more the wave sizes decrease with the distance from the center of the effect. This is the effect you get when an object perturbs the water surface, and the waves lose energy as they move away from the point of impact.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...