Computer buying help thread for February-March

Okay, time to start a new one of these. I've updated the parts lists on Amazon, and will update the monitor and laptop lists soon.

If you have any questions about what kind of computer to buy, please feel free to ask anything here. If you're looking for recommendations, please go to this page, where I list recommended configurations specifically for architecture, graphics and design visualization work, updated periodically. (That link is also in my signature.)

Thanks Andy, helpful as always. If I could make a suggestion, could you put a price total somewhere in the text? I had to put everything in my cart to find out how much the sum of the parts is. Then I couldnt find the 'empty cart' button, so it becomes a bit laborious.

• 1 month later...

I do not recommend the Hyper 212 EVO for cooling. This one has not included a Socket LGA2011 bracket. You can obtain it free of charge with the "free LGA2011 Bracket Program" on the company website. So keep that in mind :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Andrew,

I would be very interested to buy a " high end 3d artist cuda edition" which looks very powerfull for 3DSMAX, vray RT and normal rendering.

you updated it 4 months ago. what would i change now? is there new/better graphic cards, better processor ... ?

thank you for your advices

Marc

• 2 months later...

Andrew, do you plan to update the Amazon list? It's been several months since the workstations have updated and I'm sure there's some new pricing and other whiz-bang things that have changed in the market since February. I'm trying to decide if I want to build a box or buy another BOXX...you've been my go-to resource for hardware info!

Joel

• 1 month later...