VRay for C4D vs Cinema 4D Advanced Render

pmaric

For architectural visualization work, which render engine do you prefer? Vray for C4D or C4D Advanced Render? Why?

I have been doing all of my rendering with C4D's Advanced Render and have been looking into Vray and thinking about possibly switching over.

I'm mid switch. I started at a new office 6 months ago and now have C4D with Vray. My previous 14 yrs experience was base C4D or AR. Its been a struggle to make the switch but I am getting more comfortable. I do think its a faster engine but I still feel like I have more control with AR.

• 2 weeks later...

Realism and quality are subjective. I think the far bigger questions are about what is going to allow you to work comfortably and quickly.

One piece of advice I would give is GET MOGRAPH! Wow. I'm setting up all sorts of rigs for population forests and parking lots and randomizing paint shaders. Very cool.

For architectural visualization work certainly vray, worked for years with AR but at a certain point the quality wasn't good enough,

clients made better previews with vray in max or rhino (less splotches, cleaner, faster)

So we were very happy when the boys in vienna made vray for c4d.

The new AR physicalengine is of course a big step forward but i still have the feeling it isn't up to match vray (more natural light, faster)

And maxon isn't showing me any highquality Arch-viz to proof me wrong

We also looked at modo (too big step interface wise) & maxwell (too slow for what we do)

That's been my experience as well Peter. I've been using C4D AR for the past few years, although it produces decent results, there's still a little bit missing to achieve photorealistic renders for arch viz. After seeing some of the astoundingly realistic renders produced by vray users, I thought Vray might be a good rendering engine to look into. Thank you for your input!

• 5 months later...

In my opinion Vray is definetively better than AR both for quality and render times. It can be scary at the beginning for its different interface & parameters hell but it's easier than what it seems. Plus if you learn it most of the features are similar in different software, I started using it in Rhino so it took very little practice to use it even for cinema4D version.

Maybe these could be useful:

http://3docean.net/item/cinema4d-vray-exterior-setup-hdrisun-pdf-guide/2713888?ref=illbru

http://3docean.net/item/cinema4d-vray-studio-setup15-materialspdf-guide/2782350?ref=illbru

Maxon is about to release C4Dv14, and in recent versions the render engine has seen a lot of love. There is a new 'physical' setting for AR and it's pretty close to vRay. Now, I still prefer vRay but often now I just use AR, especially for stills because it's easier. v14 is available as a demo version now. Frankly, they're both too lost in arcane, inscrutable settings, so also look at Maxwell and FryRender if you value your sanity.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cgtalk_Industrial_Bathroom.jpg

Here you have a pure C4D AR render which i made over 2 years ago.

I'm sure that Advanced Renderer (especially in C4D R11 and above) is very powerfull, maybe little bit slower, but powerfull.

Kind regards

Krzysztof Czerwinski

• 2 weeks later...

i think the advantage in vray is that it is deeply physical based being still very fast (using biased methods with intention). in materials, lights and cameras, it has near unlimited light bounces like reality, realistic brdf materials, true photometric lights,etc so it very much behaves like a real camera, which can be very nice for architects (i am architect too), light defines the shapes,forms and rooms. architecture for me is a "light filter".

as vray uses not full unbiased methods it is often a lot faster than maxwell p.e (which is also nice by the way and most realistic of all), still vray is very close to physical laws of light and material (which is nothing else than reflected/absorbed light).

the AR and "physical render" (it is a normal good brute force engine, "unbiased"in that sense but not physical) internal in c4d are very good engines, but both arent physical based, having only 1 or very few light bounces, lights and materials not calibrated etc . so it depends what you want to do, which look you want etc.

as always a very good artist can make perfect image sin psd or with analog old paint on canvas. the type of tools is the artist choice, all are valid and can be great. if you like working close to a photographer you will like maxwell or vray p.e

cheers

stefan

vrayforc4d

p.s maybe interesting to note, about the confusion unbiased/biased and physical/non pyhsical:

being unbiased in GI calculation doesn't necessarily mean the render is physical (like brute corce with 1 bounce can never be what we see in real world, or without true brdf materials light cant act like real)

on reverse an engine can be a physical based renderer using biased GI calculations.

so there are unbiased-non physical / unbiased physical / biased non physical and biased - physical engines existing. sometimes also blends on it, as the borders are fluent.

Edited by stefan_laub

• 9 years later...

For graphic design work, which machine do you prefer? Vray for C4D or C4D Advanced Handle? I've been doing all my fixes with C4D's Advanced Render and I'm looking at Vray and I'm wondering if it might change. I am mid-shift. I started in a new office six months ago and now have a C4D with Vray. Just look for https://mobilunity.com/blog/hire-edi-consultant/ this site for more details. My previous 14 years of experience was based on C4D or AR. It was a struggle to change but I was more comfortable.

Edited by Oaklyn

• 5 months later...

Good day everyone!Are you customer obsessed, constantly looking for ways to improve the customer experience? Are you passionate about cloud computing and love to solve complex technical problems? This is the path to success. Hire an Azure Cloud Engineer to solve critical and complex technical problems with deep technical and product knowledge combined with your understanding of customer needs.

https://www.cloudsoftwareengineers.com/hire-azure-cloud-engineer/