which config would be better for rendering?

my current maching has i7 2600k oc'ed at 4.ghz.. so the question is which would give better performance also considering the price..

A) current machine plus another machine with 2 x xeon x5690

B) curent machine plus 3 render nodes with the same processor?

config a will cost about 1000usd more considering other parts apart from processors but will have the same amount of cores and same amount of clockspeed.. there is only architectural difference of the processors..

Hey ,

Sorry for going off-topic like this but I have a question: I heard some rumors of Iray but I don't know much about it. I viewed their showcase gallery and it looks nice, as if it can really parry the Vray (though not surpass it yet). So, I was wondering, what are comparative advancents of Iray, if any? Above all, is it faster and really less demanding on CPU? Also, do you have any experience in doing less ambitious animations with it, like walk-through with static lights and objs? Thanks.

u might wanna refer to jeff pattons blog for that but in my experience iray is very very very accurate and yes its quite fast but i dont know about animation, i use it for stills.. biggest advantage of iray is that u can use 4 graphic cards in one machine.. unfortunately iray doesnt support every shader yet.. for instance, each of the images in this collage took 30secs to render.. iray keeps rendering until u r satisfied with it and stop the render..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47223[/ATTACH]

iRay doesn't replace Vray for a lot of production rendering. It's got a lot in common with Maxwell, so has a lot of the same issues. For example, it's pretty slow at rendering interiors.

WRT the render node options. The 5690 is a "Gulftown" CPU, which is one generation older than a Sandy Bridge CPU. It's a 6-core, 3.46 GHz. So two of those CPUs would be 12 cores. Compare to 12 cores of Sandy Bridge i7, and if you were to do the same OC they're be 4 GHz cores. The Sandy Bridge solution would have more total CPU power, but less convenience because you're using three boxes instead of one.

so its always better to pay for a high end hardware instead of matching up to it with multiple.. ok thanks for the input, though i need to get it from usa coz they dont have it in stock here and plus it would be way too expensive here.. and im also not sure about what mobo to get with the xeons.. i read that some people had difficulties with evga sr2.. so im leaning towards Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC.. what do u think?

and could you please take a look at that and give me ur opinion of it http://www.solidmuse.com/2011/06/core-i7-2600-vs-dual-socket-xeon-x5690/

it seams bogus to me, he says 3 boxes with stock i7 2600 rendered a 750 frames animation in 02h 20m 57s and same thing rendered with dual x5690 working at 4.4ghz took 03h 28m18s. this doesnt really sound logical to me.

No no, I mean that the three computers with the i7 CPUs would be more total power than the one dual-CPU box. Especially if you OC the i7's. But having to maintain and make room for three boxes is less convenient than one box, so the one box system will still be worth it to people who want to minimize the amount of extra work maintaining computer.

But that other guy, with the three i7's being 33% faster than the dual Xeon that's been OC'ed... well, if you consider Cinebench scores, an i7-2600 at stock speed scores about 8, so three would add up to 24. That compares to 22 for the OC'ed dual Xeon. So the three i7's together should do that render job a bit faster, but the 33% difference makes me suspect that something is wrong with his dual Xeon system. Maybe he didn't have enough cooling and the CPU overheated and the motherboard throttled it?

hmm i see.. well my i7 2600k is working at 4.5ghz with custom watercooling and it runs very smoothly. like u said it might be cooling issue.. ok then ill go for multiple boxes thanks a lot

What cooling system are you using? And how stable are the overclocked 2600k for rendering? I am looking forward to build 2 pc based on them if they are worth it.

Thanks

ive been using it like this for a year and never had any problems.. i made the cooling myself.. i bought the tank, pump, tubes, waterblock and connection cuffs seperately.. when overclocking i didnt play with any voltage settings.. just changed to FSB multiplier to 45 from 34.. above 45 u will have problems.. it rearly goes over 71 degrees celcius.. i dont remember the name of the parts but i willl send u pictures of it when i get home.. which is 6 hours from now :)