Hardware Configuration advice - Mid range for rendering

Hi everyone,

I'm building up a pc for rendering and I'm looking for something middle range that won't be too costly but still gets the job done. Please note that this pc will be used or a year or so before moving the new 2011 socket and high end workstation cards.

Processor - i7 2600k (overclocked at 4.4ghz)

Mobo - Asus p8p67 (rev 3.1)

Ram - Kingston 16gb (4 x 4gb) 1600mhz

Heatsink - Coolermaster V6GT (with Arctic Silver 5)

VGA - ATI Firepro v5800

PSU - Antec 750w

Primary HD - 500gb (operating system 64 bit)

Secondary HD - 2Tb

Can anyone how have been using the overclocked 2600k tell me if this built is fine? I usually render for around 20 to 30 hours over a normal working week.

And also if the heatsink I got is fine for these kind of frequency.

Like I said, this pc is to be used until next year as I am aware that the overclocking will shorten it's lifespan. but if anyone can recommend me a better frequency, heatsink, mobo, etc to extend this lifespan by another year that would be really cool.

Thanks.

Stephane

True what erick said above, plus swap that primary mechanical hdd for an ssd, which will prove to be worth many times the cost difference, if its also for all the pre-render design work.

You may have a look at anandtech for cases and cooling solutions tests as well as reviews.

Edited by umeshraut

Thanks for your reply. I was looking for a rather big heatsink as the overclocking will definitely raise the temperature of the processor but do you think this one is adequate for this build or I'd rather go for some water cooling like the Corsair Hydro Series H60? I'm still looking for reviews on the heatsinks and the water cooling for the overclocked i7 2600k.

I got an SSD on my current i7 970 and it definitely makes a difference, so going to switch the primary to a 160gb SSD for these ones as well.

These pcs will be used for pre-render and rendering so I'll need a strong card and processor on both of them. And also I'm going to use Vray RT and it had some good result on my actual GPU (Ati Firepro v5800)

Edited by stephanelamarque

Remember though, overclocking is never a guarantee.

So is it worth it to get 2 overclocked pcs? I mean, is it worth getting overclocked processor for rendering and in terms of stability, do I expose myself to getting volatile workstations? How could I minimise those risks or what alternative processor would you advise me?

The reality is this day and age, overclocking is a lot easier, BUT, it is never a guarantee. I have my i7-970 at home OCd to 4ghz on a Hydro H50 and it keeps it nice in cool at full load never getting over mid 70s on the cores.

Although an overclocked processor will help you, it comes down to, as you said it, making your system volatile. Look at it from a client's perspective. If you miss a deadline because your overclock machined stopped because it was unstable, do you think your client would think that is fine? I would say no. They are paying you for a service and it is up to you to accomplish that service how you deem appropriate and by what means.

Again, I think you will be fine, if you are comfortable with overclocking and understand hardware, provide adequate ventilation to the machines and you run stability test to make sure your overclock is stable. After that is done, then run a test scene for an extended period of time and monitor temperatures on your processor.

Only alternative I can see in regards to a different processor would be buying some more i7-970 setups...6 cores is more than 4 and you can do a mild overclock to 4ghz very easily.

One more point here, regarding the oc scene and it NOT being guaranteed and all that - its not a straight 100 to 140 kind of single jump that you attempt to achieve, but go on a slow and steady path like 102-105-110-115-118-120 and so on.... and there you'll get to know the true potential of your individual processor. It might sound strange but each one slightly differs from its batch-mates too and can withstand different voltage:clock speed combos. So, its kind of trial and error but you only need to do once for each processor mobo pair. After that step, when your OS is up and running, you do some benchmarking a few times (just in case) and that's it, move on to the next hardware pair or job, whatever.

A search on undervolting would explain what I meant by the individuality of chips.

I would also like to clarify that we don't endorse overclocking here, and you do so at your own risk. That said, please do be careful - as Umesh says, don't try putting in a huge number right off, and don't just up the voltage in one go. Look up a guide that includes taking small steps, and running tests including temperature monitoring at each step, to reduce the risk of damage. (Reducing risk is not eliminating risk, and you might void your warranty in the process, which is why we don't endorse overclocking and I don't write specs with the expectation that they'll be overclocked.)

(Reducing risk is not eliminating risk, and you might void your warranty in the process.)

Any overclocking attempt (detected by the manufacturer, that is :) ) voids the warranty automatically.

But the fact also remains that most of the high end enthusiast (gaming) rigs are overclocked and they last their builders'/owners' expected durations very well.