Please help with Unhandled exception error crashing my new PC.

Hi Guys,

I am getting more than a bit frustrated with this error.

I bought a new computer a couple of days ago as my new primary work PC.

If I load up a 3DS Max scene and render, if the render size is under 2000px it renders fine. If I try to render anything larger Max (and sometimes windows) crashes with the"unhandled exception" error. A few times I have gotten the blue screen of death when it crashed.

The same scenes rendered fine on my old PC which had much less RAM. Both machines use the same versions of Max, Vray etc. I have tried several different scenes and get the crash on all of them.

UPDATE: I don't think it's Vray. I loaded up a scene done in MR and it crashed as well.

I also re installed both Max and Vray, same result.

Software is:

Windows 7 64 bit service pack 1

3DS Max 2011 with service pack 1

Vray 2.0

So far I have made sure that all windows updates have been done. I have installed the latest drivers for the video card. I have re installed Vray. I tried to render with an override material, same result (actually crashed faster)

I have run Memorytest86 for 3 iterations with no errors reported. I also ran SISoftware Sandra lite, all tests passed.

The last two times it crashed I had resource monitor open. There were several hard faults/sec reported, varied from 6-34 if that means anything to you hardware guys.

Here is the PC Configuration:

MB: Asus P8Z68-V LX socket 1155 Z68 chipset

CPU: Intel core i7 2600k quad core 3.40ghz

Video: Geforce Nvidia GTX 560ti 1024mb

RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB (4x4gb) DDR3 1600mhz

PS: 600 Watt Corsair builder series

Drives: 1TB WD Corsair for Data and 128 GB Solid State drive for the OS & applications.

Here is the first part of the dump report, I have taken out most of the modules as the list is really long. Each crash the error is the exact same.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions as this is my main Max pc and I have some jobs coming down the line soon so I have to get this stable.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance as I am not a hardware guy.

Dump Summary

------------

Dump File: 3dsmax_minidump.dmp : C:\Users\Aubrey\AppData\Local\Temp\3dsmax_minidump.dmp

Last Write Time: 11/03/2012 3:01:58 PM

Process Name: 3dsmax.exe : C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\3dsmax.exe

Process Architecture: x64

Exception Code: 0xC0000005

Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Heap Information: Not Present

System Information

------------------

OS Version: 6.1.7601

CLR Version(s): 2.0.50727.5448

Modules

-------

Module Name Module Path Module Version

----------- ----------- --------------

3dsmax.exe C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\3dsmax.exe 13.1.0.114

ntdll.dll C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 6.1.7601.17725

mscoree.dll C:\Windows\System32\mscoree.dll 4.0.40305.0

kernel32.dll C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll 6.1.7601.17651

KERNELBASE.dll C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll 6.1.7601.17651

adlmint.dll C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\adlmint.dll 1.3.34.0

comctl32.dll C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac\comctl32.dll 6.10.7601.17514

msvcrt.dll C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll 7.0.7601.17744

gdi32.dll C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll 6.1.7601.17514

Edited by AubreyM

Just an update (can't believe no one has replied) on my progress.

I have pretty much eliminated any software issues. The only things that I can think of at this point is either the PC is overheating or there is a stick of bad ram.

I did a complete reinstall of Windows and only installed the drivers and MAX/Vray, still crashed to the blue screen.

Well it turns out that the tech that put my computer together thought he would do me a favor and overclocked the CPU to 4.4ghz. Needless to say it was overheating the CPU big time. I upgraded the Power supply and had them throw in a water cooler and of course they took the CPU back down to 3.4ghz. It's all good now, works like a charm, renders fine with no errors.

You hit the nail on the head Erick, thanks for the reply.

I love this new machine! Anyone thinking of upgrading to an i7 I highly recommend it, what a difference.