Advanced Vray Materials

JeremyRamsay

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]47291[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47292[/ATTACH] Can anyone recommend any training material that explains in depth, advanced Vray material production? Included here are two images of a fantastic material created in Vray for use in 3D Max. I understand about Map Channels, (loading an image that scales from black to white for differing strengths of that particular effect, and altering the spinners to control that effect). But as you can see the illustrator has also altered the Reflection colour swatch to a grey and the Reflection glossiness underneath that swatch. I thought I was understanding that once you use the map channels, you didn't need to touch the top section but obviously not as this upper section does make a difference to the material. I've trawled the net for ages but keep coming across the same tutorials.

Books or Dvd's I'm not bothered. Many thanks to anyone that can help.

I don't have any tutorials for you, but to explain this example in short, you are most likely looking at an iterative material where the earlier settings are still there, but being overridden. That said, what happens with the maps is that, as you said, Vray reads black and white maps as a varied application of reflection or glossiness etc. You can also set a flat quantity for this in the individual roll outs. In the map roll out you can then blend between the flat version and the mapped version as a percentage of 100.

In this material the creator has 100 overridden the diffuse, reflection and hglossiness, but has blended the rglossiness, 20% flat and 80% mapped.

I hope that clears a little of this up for you.

That does help, thanks very much. Some of the Arch materials seem to have endless combinations of channels. Sometimes I think they're just showing off. I'd like to know where they get their knowledge from though. Thanks again.

Edited by JeremyRamsay

• 1 month later...

Although this material has nice variations in it's reflections, I would actually argue that it cannot be physically correct, thus not photo-realistic as it appears to not be using any kind of fall-off or Fresnel IOR. I say this because in the real world, many materials reflective amounts depend on the viewing angle. Unless this example is a metal, in which case the effect can be negligible.