Is ASAI still relevant?

Dan Norfolk

• Administrators

I think they are becoming more and more irrelevant as each year passes as they aren't connecting with what's actually happening in the industry. The only major benefit you can get are discounted rates to their conference, which is more a vacation with industry friends and a lot of sketch tours. Fun, but not a must attend event from a business standpoint. That event nearly bankrupts them every year so I'm not sure why they keep it up given attendance is so low. The organization is still very heavily oriented to traditional media. You can also get your images and contact info listed on their site, but given how many other places you can publish images online for free, I don't really consider that a benefit. I've tried to help them over the years as I think we could use an industry organization, but all attempts have failed. I even handed them 30 people from CGA who all volunteered to help and even that failed. I've pretty much given up on them. I think the only thing they do right now that has the most value is their AIP books. In my opinion the only way they are not going to disappear is if they start from scratch and re-launch with a new mandate that is inline with the needs of the industry.

I think they are becoming more and more irrelevant as each year passes as they aren't connecting with what's actually happening in the industry. The only major benefit you can get are discounted rates to their conference, which is more a vacation with industry friends and a lot of sketch tours. Fun, but not a must attend event from a business standpoint. That event nearly bankrupts them every year so I'm not sure why they keep it up given attendance is so low. The organization is still very heavily oriented to traditional media. You can also get your images and contact info listed on their site, but given how many other places you can publish images online for free, I don't really consider that a benefit. I've tried to help them over the years as I think we could use an industry organization, but all attempts have failed. I even handed them 30 people from CGA who all volunteered to help and even that failed. I've pretty much given up on them. I think the only thing they do right now that has the most value is their AIP books. In my opinion the only way they are not going to disappear is if they start from scratch and re-launch with a new mandate that is inline with the needs of the industry.

Which is sad, and I'm wishing they don't dissapear. I always look at the traditional works there as an inspiration. That's talent. I can't sketch or draw, but the advancement in software has allowed me to make a buck doing visualizations. I believe 95% of the people who call themselves 3d visualizers are like me, we're only here because 3d programs made it easy for us.

• Administrators

I agree. One of the things they need to do to make themselves more relevant in my opinion is to bridge that gap between traditional and digital because there is A LOT of knowledge in that group that could be shared.