Premiere online / offline editing?

CEJ1976

Hi,

Generally i create my draft edits initially in premiere with a series of wireframe Preview animation.movs out of max.

These are great as scrolling back and forth through them is fine. However, when I replace these with my rendered Tiffs/EXRs etc the scrubbing back and forth in the timeline becomes a nightmare.

Is there a simple way to scrub back and forth over a series of rendered images? I have heard people mention and online and offline edit but not sure what they mean by it?

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi Ciaran,

I've found that pre-rendered AVIs will render out faster in Premier and AfterFX as opposed to image sequences. I would recommend that you render out your image sequences as uncompressed AVIs or MOVs before you try to edit them in AfterFX or Premier. If you are trying to scrub through image sequences you will always experience slower performance IMO.

Also, are you importing your image sequences as footage or as a series of individual files?

E

Hi Erick,

Yes i import my final frames as a sequence of TIFFs or EXRs. I was just thinking if there was a way to view these in a more 'simpler' way to enable scubbing back and forth.

I guess i will stick with using wiframe movs or avis to setup the edit, and then replace these once I am happy with the edit.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Thanks.

EXR sequences bring most systems to their knees. process those in your compositing package and write the resulting sequence out in a lossless format before editing. Use your wireframe/lowres/quicktime/avi files for setting up your edit beforehand like you mentioned and replace the footage when you are ready. Don't use your compositor for editing and don't use your editor for compositing. Avoid Maslows hammer.