Is this PSU OK for an i7 2600k build?

Hi all,

I am about to build two render nodes (mini ITX motherboards, i7 2600k CPUs, integrated graphics, 4-8 GB RAM each) and my aim is to keep everything as small as possible. For that reason I am looking for a small form factor PSU and was wondering if the one from the link bellow will be compatible with the motherboard and CPU.

1. Motherboard- Intel DH67CF

2. CPU- i7 2600k

3. PSU- Seasonic SS-250SU F0 slim Psu

http://www.xcase.co.uk/Seasonic-SS-250SU-p/psu-seasonic-250su.htm

My biggest concern is that the PSU has 1U form factor and I am not sure if it is suitable for that kind of configurations in terms of connectors. The Wattage requirements for the render node is not an issue- I can find it with an on-line calculator.

Thanks a million guys.

Julian.

The PSU will be more than enough.

Beware though: this mITX mobo is designed to be used with low TDP CPUs...if you have to go with an i7, it has to be the i7-2600S.

The 2600/2600K won't work with this mobo's power circuit.

From a quick look, I did not see that limitation on Ashrock mITX mobos (i think i know what u were thinking looking in intel mobos, still...) which do mention full support for i7 K series (aka rated for at least 95W, quite a bit more overclocked - if that's desirable).

EDIT: found the Intel BOXDH77DF that seems to handle 2600k. A bit pricier ofc :p

At any rate, I am pretty confident the seasonic will handle it like a champ.

Edited by dtolios

Thanks for the help, Dimitrios, again :)

That is very strange, Intel's web-site claims support for 2600s, whereas cpu-upgrade lists 2600k as well. There's even a video on youtube with both DH67CF and 2600k running on some guy's PC.

I will definitely check with Intel before buying that one.

Have a nice weekend,

Julian.

My source was newegg, where in both the user feedback and the product details, you can spot the "65W TDP" limitation, and no mentioning of "K" support (just i7/i5/i3 etc). It appears to be a mobo focused on HTPC / home theater applications.

Most other ITX LGA1156 go a long way to brag about K series support (and overclocking those), so it won't be a huge problem finding another one in this format. I don't know where you want to cram those mobos, but if it will be a DIY sorta project, I do believe for that kind of money you can get a tad more feature packed mATX for sure, with better voltage regulation too (that's where Intel when cheap on your original choice obviously).

Well, to be honest I need the mini ITX motherboards only as render servers (3dS Max, VRay) in addition to my workstation. I just got rid of two micro ATX motherboards with the i7 920s on them just for that reason.

Space will be of great importance as it really is a DIY project. I am not even sure I will be buying PC cases for them... I might accommodate a filling cabinet or something.

Thanks again.

Julian.

Well, good luck hunting down the components.

Food for thought, as many people did not like the IKEA helmer, an even more cool looking DIY project (worn quite a bit actually over the last 10 years in DIY clusters).

If you don't place the PSUs below the Mobos but suspend them in-between them, the actual footprint difference between mATX and mITX is not that huge.

Really interested to see what you will come up with.