How to get interior burn without exterior blowing up?

stayinwonderland

I'm having this tricky issue of trying to get a nice hot interior without the exterior turning solid white:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47513[/ATTACH]

I've tried reinhard and can't get anywhere with that. Now I'm trying exponential with everything set to 1.0. I'm also using vray sun + sky. I think it's that the vray sky blows up at the slightest increase in exposure? But not sure.

Ideas?

A Photographer attempting to do that would expose for the outside and strobe flash the interior. The goal, to bring the tail ends of the scenes dynamic range closer to each other. With Vray we can do that by simply 'setting' the intensity of the lights to play near each other. Besides strobing, Photographers may just blend exposures as like this http://blogs.oreilly.com/lightroom/2008/12/blend-with-lightroom-enfuse.html

This is useful: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dynamic-range.htm

Edited by Ismael
Add information

"There must be a way to get nice interiors and exteriors, without rendering out to images with different exposures and comping them together later."

tarjepladsen

'With Vray we can do that by simply 'setting' the intensity of the lights to play near each other.'

http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/QnAdetail.asp?threadID=17110

Do what John A. Lind (I do not know the guy) says but with the Vray luminaries.

Over and out...

If you want to use Vray sky texture for exterior you can try a little bypass, like this: Make your original Vray Sky Map for Environment slot in Vray menu. Then make a copy of that Vray map (it should be a copy, not an instance and it should be linked to a same Sun) which you will use for standard environmental background. After that just lower that Map's sun intensity until you get the result you need in render, regardless of color mapping. It is not ideal but it works.

you could use HDRI to light the scene. Use the max environment slot, Vray environment override and Vray environment reflection override to render an 'underexposed' background and highlights. Environment override will provide the lighting. You are then cheating to balance 3 elements which when rendered as a photographically correct solution have too extreme range to fall within gamut.

Dude, try what I told, it is exactly what you need. Use Vray sky map in the Vray Environment override slot for atmospheric lighting. Then make a copy (copy, not instance) of this map and put in in the standard environment slot to use it just for background (activate it from Viewport background menu). You can tune and lower intensity value of that Vray sky map until you get result you need, without interfering with atmospheric lighting.

I'm surprised no one has asked whether you're in a 2.2 LWF setup as this obviously has an effect on the light transmission through an interior scene and potentially reduces the imbalance between inside and out.

Also Ismael touched on the fact that it's not straightforward to achieve photographically, so is what you're trying to achieve is a non-photographic result? Personally I'd expect to see a pretty burned exterior anyway and would probably just juggle it in post.

Dude, try what I told, it is exactly what you need. Use Vray sky map in the Vray Environment override slot for atmospheric lighting. Then make a copy (copy, not instance) of this map and put in in the standard environment slot to use it just for background (activate it from Viewport background menu). You can tune and lower intensity value of that Vray sky map until you get result you need, without interfering with atmospheric lighting.

Brilliant. I've done it. Only thing was, at first it didn't work and my lighting changed but I think you left out the fact that if you have two vray skies in your scene, you then have to drag them each into a spare material slot and name them differently.

Many many thanks :)

It's just subtle, the sky will be very light, I just don't want a pure white sky. I think people neglect that it's not about being 100% photo-real. It's about selling an image.