The new galery section

So...

I've been thinking this for quite a while now, but gave it time purely because I thought it might grow on me, but alas it hasn't. I really can't get on with the new gallery section if I'm honest, it seems to me that nobody really ever comments (myself included) on things any more and I think it could be because you want to comment on a whole project at once, rather than go through a series of individual images and commenting on each one; it's broken down the whole comment & critique part of the site.

Don't get me wrong, it all looks very slick & professional however I think it just doesn't quite suit the format/intention of the site.

Anybody else feel the same?

I think the intention of the site operators with the new gallery was to be just that, a gallery of images by professionals around the world. Critiquing and dialogue does not seem to be the objective, on that particular forum. The "Work-in-Progress" section provides a space for that.

I don't think that's the case, I rarely post in the WIP forum due to not having the time to during projects but often make an attempt to upload finished works here and would very much like people to comment and critique the finished works. To not want that is to assume your work is perfect, is it not?

Critiques on finished works are far more important and and telling than non finished stuff in my opinion.

I don't think that's the case, I rarely post in the WIP forum due to not having the time to during projects but often make an attempt to upload finished works here and would very much like people to comment and critique the finished works. To not want that is to assume your work is perfect, is it not?

Critiques on finished works are far more important and and telling than non finished stuff in my opinion.

I understand what you are saying and actually agree with you in that I prefer it how we originally had (years ago). However, I'm just telling you what the purpose of the new layout might be.

I don't know that we can return to a system of dialogue on the finished works section, given that so many of the posts on there are companies and artist trying to market and advertise rather than look for critiques.

Sadly I must say that I agree with Chris. I got the same feeling. Also a problem in my opinion is that it became quite complicated to post several images in one thread. (It is possible but you have to do it with a html code to refear to a weblink where the other pics are) Instead poeple post 5 threads with one Image to the same project. I hate to be the guy saying "it was better in the old days" but in that case, sorry it kinda was. I miss the long discussions people used to have over one project.....

I think the new website brought a load of new contributors and the system and users are just a little overwhelmed with so much content. Hopefully things will calm down before too long and get closer to the kind of interaction there used to be.

Yep its impossible to use / navigate - just a flood of non moderated images, all without comment or discussion.

At least with the forum layout you could see the popular / good / community vetted images easily on one page. Unfortunately the new system has removed the professional element imo

So...

Don't get me wrong, it all looks very slick & professional however I think it just doesn't quite suit the format/intention of the site.

Anybody else feel the same?

Yes - I thought it was just me. The site looks great, and I can appreciate the hard work involved - however I was hoping for a CGSociety style gallery where you could simply populate your own page with images without posting to a thread (and having the option to delete images). Now it seem to be a Facebook style stream of stuff

I completely agree with the guys comments.. It kind of feels like it lost it's soul.. There is just no vibe happening.. I have not posted anything for months.. It's a very nice and polished website but somehow it just does not work! Sorry Jeff but sometimes if things work great, why change it?? It's like trying to improve Coke, it seems to be working fine just the way it is!!

The new site makes it easier to browse at a glance which it what I like. I agree the it doesn't encourage comments, so I started to make an effort it post comments where appropriate.

One thing that does bug me though, if I go into a thread on a page after the first, say page 2 or 3 and then hit back, I get sent back to the first page and not the page Iwas on last.

Jhv