MTL file not loading on import/ viewport error

CraigMenne

I have been trying to get myself back into modeling for a bit here, though I have come across some issues I cant seem to fix.

I have an object, a simple side table that I had been working on just for an easy exercise. I have been messing with Vray as of late as my renderer. Anyway, I got results I like and everything was fine.

I export the model out as an OBJ, goes through fine. I try to import it back into max, load up the file (with the MTL file in same folder), it loads up the object fine, but none of my materials are attached to it.

Now is there something I am doing wrong when I export these? The materials are just procedural, so there is no Bitmap or anything that I am using. Ive just not ever had this issue before in the past.

any ideas?

No. To my knowledge there are no inter-app material transfers. Just geometry driven info, such as mapping co-ordinates. I believe there are some exceptions to this. You can do a VRay export between MYA/mAX 2013 for instance and MR materials will transfer between Revit and Max. But no, obj does not carry shader info.

Then I guess I have been freaking out for no reason. Thanks for the info.

Also, any idea what causes this? The model itself renders out great, but for some reason my display goes all crazy after I add in the VRay lights. Not sure whats causing it to be honest. At first I thought something went bonkers with the model, but, after remodeling the whole thing, I got the lighting setup in there, render a few times.. now its all kinds of crazy. Even after deleting the vray lights and all its still messed up.

Ive attached the render as well just to show that that part runs fine.

Edited by CraigMenne