new RPC trees - 3D or cutouts?

Ernest Burden III

I am having trouble getting the Photoshop plugin for RPC stuff to work. It used to, but I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway, I downloaded the free sample of the new RPC trees to check it out. Can't see it until I solve the above. Are these new trees 3D like the RPC cars, or more like traditional cutouts, with just one viewing angle?

The latest collection of trees is a high-res collection, and only have one viewing angle.

The 3D trees are on their way!!

Thanks, Michiel for the email.

I THINK I have the PS plugin installer properly (I will check by your instructions) it just doesn't seem to want to locate the DLed content.

Yes, it's the 3D trees that I was most interested in. They would be hard to produce, but once done, would be VERY valuable in production.

And thats exactly what they are.. The polygon count is more than one.. dont know exactly how many, but at least fewer than every other tree solution. The new ones (that ARE NOT released yet) will have a viewing angle of 360 degrees by 270 degrees... So looking straight up at a tree will not be possible... But who needs that anyway...

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming you are talking about what Archvision refers to as 3D+ objects....Is there any talk about when the new 3D+ trees will be available? Or if you can upgrade to them from the old 3D trees or get a price break if you have the old trees? I was just looking into purchasing some RPC trees but if I'm not going to get a price break when the new trees come out I'm going to hold off until they do.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I too am looking fwd to the "new" RPC content. I didnt know they were working on that. I knew about the hi-res trees, and based on the demo tree I DLed, look absolutely great.

Also, most folks dont know this, but you can do aerial/birds-eye views with standard RPC content. I had the chance to meet Randall Stevens and talk with him for a while at a conference back in November and he gave me this tip:

--keep your camera level and you can go as high as you want.--

It works fine for me. I recently completed the rendering below with all RPCs. The animation turned out nice too. I know that sometimes it's not feasible to keep the camera level...you may need to look up or down in certain renderings. If not, this "trick" works beautifully.

later,

Jason Jacobs

You can get some decent aerial shots of RPC's.

If you go over 45 degrees with the camera, then there is some distortion.

I get frustrated with the animations though, because sometimes I want a top view and as we all know with RPC experience you can't do that in one shot.

I always have to start out with an aerial angled view.

I think RPC's are a great and valuable tool. They are a bit pricey, but it's worth it and just add that into your costs for the project!

Hockley91