3d max 2011 vs 3d max 2013!!

orenvfx

hi guys

There was something bothering me

when im working on 3ds max 2011 even if it’s empty scene if i look on temperature monitor

the heat of the graphics card is 44 celsius even for full havy scene and its ok without lagging

now, when im open the new shiny 3ds max 2013 and no! no with realistic nitrous engin

just the same direct3d like 3ds max 2011, on empty scene if i look the temperatre monitor i see immediately 65 celsius in the graphic card!! its not lagging but not better from 3ds max 2011!

why my gpu need to take so mutch heat like 70 celsius for all day work? While 3dsmax 2011 do the same performance with the same work with cool 45 celsius ?

really worry for my gpu and cpu and wonder what autodesk do to 3ds max 2012 and 2013 that make the high temperature to our cards and cpu?

my computer spec

i7 890

gpu gtx 460 2 gb

12 gb memory

Don't use Nitrous, it's closer to a GPU based real time engine rather than a more static CPU based graphics like DirectX. If you have that problem, simply switch from Nitrous to DirectX in 3ds Max 2013.

If you want to use Nitrous, disable some of it's more intensive features like AO and that will take the strain off your GPU.

I have a GTX550 TI and I don't see any temp difference when using Max2013 versus 2011 or 2012. Tested both with DirectX and Nitrous. Obviously, 2011 doesn't have Nitrous so that one was a control.

HI SCOTT

WELL IN THE FIRST POST I mentioned that i dont use nitrous mode at all on 3ds max 2013

only directx3d. and still the temp is go up in 3ds max 2013

here is screenshot of two version of 3ds max's with empty scene

<a href=http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1417/2011vs2013.jpg' alt='2011vs2013.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

What DirectX settings are you using? Post a screencap of those, and we can help you and see if you have something that is GPU or even CPU intensive. What's your temp in a complex scene?

My GPU is at 44-48C in any version of Max and that's doing nothing all the way to hardcore modeling, it stays rock solid. Though I am running a little hot on the processor temp due to warmer weather in the States and I'm not running my AC at the moment.

What is your temp if you do use Nitrous? Benchmark your high temp with other viewport options, see if it's just related to DirectX. Switch to openGL and see what your GPU temp does. Try some other things out, see where your increase is coming from or if it is even across the three display types.

As asked in your other posts on the Area forums, what is your safe operating temp range for your GPU? It could be you are still well within the safe range and you have nothing to worry about.

Your core temp also increased, if it's the 36 to 41 increase. Perhaps you have poor heat removal near your processor and you are bleeding heat onto your graphics card. Max 2013 is a little more intense on the CPU as well, so if that is heating up and it could be showing up in your GPU temp as well.

EDIT to my previous post.

After doing some searching on your card. Your card is like any other stock card on the market. Generally you are safe up to 95-105c but you really want to remain under 80c unless you are under an intense load like using iRay or something. Many people on various forums say that 70c is pretty much a good temp to shoot for under your normal load, and you are under it. At least for now.

What's your fan speed? You may have to increase it manually or set up a new fan profile to ramp it up higher.

scott thanx for your answers!

my gpu temp on idle is 38 , only with max 2013 is go up, and the directx3d is the same same setting like in 3d max 2011 :(

in the new cinema 4d with smooth super viewport the gpu is stay with temp of 40 c even on full complex scene and work like a magic :(

Throw a heavy and complex scene in max and see where your temp goes. If you throw millions of polygons at this and your temp goes no where, then it may not be that big of an issue. But if you really start to increase the temp as your scene increases, then you need to solve this quickly or revert to Max 2011. Do you have your latest drivers?

Here's the thing. If your core temp goes up as well, it could be making your graphics card hot as well or the other way around. Where are your fans blowing in your case? Where does your graphics card fan blow? Many of them just fire right into the bottom of your case, which isn't all too good sometimes. Where does your CPU fan and heatsink blow? Do they exhaust properly out the back of the case? You have to make sure all of that heat is being exhausted properly.

I'm thinking this is more of a heating and cooling issue rather than a max issue, since we have not been able to really replicate anything. It doesn't mean it's not an issue, but it could be a rare issue.

Do you use any sort of Windows Aero color scheme? Maybe the heavier windows schemes are on and when Max 2013 runs, it wants to overtake certain options? Your background colors are different between the two versions of Max. The higher temp one in 2013 has the gradient viewport background. All of that takes GPU power to display. Try turning off some display options in Max or tweaking the colors a little to try and remove any new feature in Max.

hi scott

Sorry but I tried everything! its keeping rise to 75 c without any action in max 2013. i have max 2011 install too and its just pick to 50 c in full havy scene. Which indicates its not fan or dust problem. even when i play "call of duty" its less temp' :(

i turn off all the option that can help even graindent background! im not using aero mode. and the cpu stay cool only the gpu effected by max 2013.

here a screenshot of just two of max version and the temp.

<a href=http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1417/2011vs2013.jpg' alt='2011vs2013.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]