Dark lines/areas in Vray water texture

thomasdebos

Hey everyone!

Ive been trying to render a scene in Sketchup 8.0 using Vray (version 1.5 I think) that has a large water surface. Besides slowing down the render time significantly because of the reflections, I also get all sorts of weird lines and dark areas in the surface (check the attached image to see what I mean).

The water surface is a single surface that is grouped. I tried creating a basic rectangle that cuts through the model at the same height, but I got weird spots near the edges where it meets the 'solid' model.

Anyone ever had the same problem? Ive tried searching the net but couldnt find this issue yet. Any help will be much appreciated!

http://www.debosdesign.nl/wp-content/uploads/093.jpg

Thanks for the advice, Stephen. The extra subdivisions in the surface did speed up the rendering, but unfortunately did not get rid of the weird lines... :(

However, they are always in the same place so you would think it has something to do with the geometry.

Okay Ive created a new rectangular surface and divided it into many small ones. This seems to be working quite well. Most of the lines are gone, but one area is still showing up lighter than the areas around it :s

I will keep trying to make it perfect. Thanks a lot for thinking along!

It worked! Im not sure what I did wrong the last time, but a new big rectangle did the trick. Render times weren't even that bad either.

(still strange considering the 'other' surface was also a single continuous plane...)

Thanks for the help!