Max 2013 using 75% of CPU when doing nothing....any reason why?

danb4026

I have a max scene that is fairly simple...has about 4M polys. When the file is open, all of a sudden my CPU usage goes up to and beyond 75%. Frame buffer window flashes on and off, clicking buttons within max gets really slow, etc. Once I click on another program other than Max, the CPU usage drops right off to normal levels.

I have 32GB of RAM and Max appears to be using approx. 5GB when this file is open....its the CPU that is the problem. I have never encountered this issue before.

This is not while rendering or anything, just sitting there.

Any advice or insights??

I would use the run msconfig in the msconfig menu click on startup tab only uncheck (untick) all the boxes apart from the virus and spyware checker. click on apply and then ok. windows will ask you to restart you're computer, so restart it and let it bootup as normal once the computer boots back into the windows screen the box will come up again tick (checked) do not show this next time or something like that then click on close

this will close all the programs that are open in the background and will not harm you're operation to start up the programs just go to the startup tab

try opening the same file again. If you still get the same problem maybe you need to add a service pack or there cpu mite have dust in it. so i would buy an dust buster (air spray) from your local computer store and open you're computer case when off and spray that into the cpu fan. once it's clean then close the case backup and turn on you're computer.

i use dust off by falcon

hi tony

i have a gpu over usage with 3ds max 2013 in even empty scene! the problem is in other user of 3ds max 2013 too

when you start 3ds max 2013 the gpu clock is stuck on 700 mhz even if you do nothing! this bug is not apper in max 2012!

this bug make your gpu to be hot like you run a new complex game!

to fix this bug you need to disable your cuda option in gpu controller but you dont need to do it!

service pack 2 for 3ds max 2013 didnt solve this bug!

<a href=http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7982/gpu670x670.jpg' alt='gpu670x670.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

There is tons of bugs in the newer version that why i don't use them. Autodesk brought them out too fast without fully testing them all i can say "is put it on the autodesk website see what they say" you could contact you're issuer and see if they can help

I have a max scene that is fairly simple...has about 4M polys. When the file is open, all of a sudden my CPU usage goes up to and beyond 75%. Frame buffer window flashes on and off, clicking buttons within max gets really slow, etc. Once I click on another program other than Max, the CPU usage drops right off to normal levels.

I have 32GB of RAM and Max appears to be using approx. 5GB when this file is open....its the CPU that is the problem. I have never encountered this issue before.

This is not while rendering or anything, just sitting there.

Any advice or insights??

Are you in Nitrous or Direct3D? Max 2013 implemented some new picking algorithms when it comes to selecting geometry to supposedly "fix" the lag issues from past versions. It appears they broke it.

Does your CPU usage explode when you have all 4m polys visable or is it like that even if you have everything hidden? It could be the new AA features in the vewport, if you use Nitrous. That could be killing your CPU as Max wants to use that to power the AA.

My advice is to save your files as a 2012 version and stick with that for a while. 2013 is really buggy on certain computers. Stay away from 2013 at all costs.

I tried to recreate your issue on my 2013 with about 20-30 full res trees (16m polys), not proxys, and my cpu didn't spike as bad as yours. It jumped but only from around 10-15% to about 35%. But I'm in Direct3D.