Question for the interior/exterior 3D visualizers...

branskyj

Hi all,

I have been asking myself lately the following- how do professional architectural visualizers create the 3D interior/exterior.

For instance, say that I know 3DS Max and AutoCad and I have a .dwg file with the plan of the building in 2D. Would I be expected to build the 3D interior of it in AutoCad or in 3DS Max. Texturing and lighting should of course be done in 3DS Max, I realize that.

I am going to be looking for a job soon and need to know what will be expected from me in this regard.

How do companies proceed nowadays?

Thanks for any help.

Julian.

I think it would be fare to say that the process is that of whatever works. I think that the more you can do native to the program you will be rendering in, the fewer problems you will have, but if you are getting models from clients and outside contractors then there isn't usually a need or desire to rebuild non-native stuff and you roll with the punches. AutoCAD 2D usually has so many problems that you are better off tracing in 3DS Max, however, you do what you can, but if its a raw build, one you are modelling from the ground up from plan drawings and for the sole purposes of rendering, then do it in MAX.

Everyone's workflow is different so your best bet is to be an artist first and a facile-technician second. A close second.

there are countless programs out there for 3d modelling. It all depends the office workflow. Yes, you can model from within 3ds, or you can model in CAD, SketchUP, Rhino, Maya, and many other programs. Most artists now-a-days use a combination of programs in their workflows.. using each program's strengths for their advantage.

There is a bit shift towards Revit too, so even in schematic phases, many offices / studios try to use it.

At least in California I believe most big offices are after Revit skills. Knowing how to model in Revit and interface that model with 3DS for renders, and maybe back and forth for producing more organic forms is a great asset.

For information driven / generative modelling both 3DS and Rhino (Grasshopper) are used - possessing those programs might help you get into more creative positions than being just a visualizer.

I would say it depends on which sector you are attempting to move into.

If you are looking to work in-house at an Architects, Sketchup is great as it integrates through to Max so well. Although more and more there is a move towards BIM software such as Revit, as Dimitrios pointed out. The problem with using 3ds Max to model everything whilst working at an Architects or Engineers is the bottleneck created around you as the only skillset available. If the practice uses BIM or Sketchup, then anyone can alter the model and pass it on to you for the fun stuff in Max.

If you are looking towards a visualisation firm then it would be a focus on 3ds Max for modelling and rendering. If you are going solo, then it's whatever looks good in the end regardless of how you got there.