Anyone here using Revit for residential design (2000sf-400sf)

AdamRosauio

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, some of the first Revit Users were in the field of Residential Design. It's not overkill for it, in fact its a better way to do residential drawings for most individuals that are historically AutoCAD users.

A better place to ask that would be on AUGI (the Autodesk User Group International), the Autodesk Forums, or the LinkedIn Forum Revit Users.

For your own information, I actually did a video series on how to design a house in Revit Architecture:

http://www.lynda.com/Revit-Architecture-tutorials/Designing-House-Revit-Architecture/91811-2.html

After using Revit for 6 years (and designing homes for over 8 years) I can tell you it's not overkill. That doesn't mean it has to be the perfect solution for you, but it shouldn't be dismissed without further investigation.

Edited by Brian Myers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

anyone have any galleries or websites where i can see plan produced in Revit? Alot of the plans Ive seen done in Revit lack good details on the exterior elevations. I havent seen any that really compare to my drafting in autocad. Theres no crown under the sofits, mouldings above the windows, raised MDX panels, ect ect.... I'd really like to see some good detailed plans before I commit to revit else ill just stick with autocad and 3ds max.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. You can do a dog house or a multistory tower in Revit. The real benefit will not come in the first project or even in the second. It will come after you already have a template to work from. Standard details only need to be created once (just like in CAD). Creating your wall sweeps, various profiles, and stair balusters may be time consuming on the first project, but the next project will have everything created. Coordination is better too. For instance, I just had a house built by a builder who used CAD. They did not coordinate the location of the recessed lights of chandelier in the kitchen. Thus things are off centered and they had to rework half of my ceiling in the dining room. I guess it just depends on how good you become at it. One person on Revit could essentially replace two draftsmen. My 2 cents.

• 1 month later...